Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PhD "Grades" in Ireland (specifically UCD)

Options
  • 30-09-2011 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if someone could throw some light on this for me, please:

I was applying for some grants in Germany and heard that theu require as part of the information your PhD grades. Now, when I got my PhD in UCD it just said in the transcripts "Awarded" but nothing about grades.

I also know that any doctorate in Germany does come with grades such as "summa cum laude" etc.

Is there something similar here in Ireland, do we have any grades for our PhD's at all or ist it just not done here?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

PhDs do not have grades in Ireland.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I haven’t heard of any colleges in Ireland giving a grade for a PhD. Where I was when we got our viva report you were ‘given’ one of the following:

Award
    Award pending minor corrections
    Award pending major corrections
    Reject but permit resubmission of a revised thesis
    Reject but permit resubmission for a lower degree
    Reject

But the actual PhD you’re awarded is same as everyone else regardless of whether or not you had to do additional corrections after the viva.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

If you take taught courses during your PhD, you should get a transcript, with the grades you got. Some PhD programmes require a minimum number of of taught courses to be taken during your PhD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    If you take taught courses during your PhD, you should get a transcript, with the grades you got. Some PhD programmes require a minimum number of of taught courses to be taken during your PhD.

Thanks. No, no taught courses when I did it. Pure research on your own. The PhD's with taught aspects came in a couple of years after I registered.

Advertisement