Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buildings only insurance

Options
  • 30-09-2011 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi
    I'm looking for the cheapest possible quote for building only. While the house is residential, there is nothing of value inside and I don't want to cover the contents.
    Does any insurer do this?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

all of them do

• Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

+1 If you own a house and rent it out unfurnished that's the kind of policy you'd have on the property i.e. building only because the tenant would insure his own furniture so I can't see why any insurance company wouldn't already be offering this type of cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,153 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

coylemj wrote: »
    +1 If you own a house and rent it out unfurnished that's the kind of policy you'd have on the property i.e. building only because the tenant would insure his own furniture so I can't see why any insurance company wouldn't already be offering this type of cover.

Is it not slightly different if you are a landlord?

There's 2 possible scenario's here.

1) You own the property and insure only the building. In that case you can just get a normal insurance quote. You may still live in it yourself.

2) You rent out a property and only have to insure the building as the tenant will do their own contents. In that case you need to let the insurance company know that you are a landlord.

Would this not be the case?

I'd guess if you didn't and there was a claim then they might use the ambiguity to wriggle out of a payout.

Be careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

NIMAN wrote: »
    Is it not slightly different if you are a landlord?

There's 2 possible scenario's here.

1) You own the property and insure only the building. In that case you can just get a normal insurance quote. You may still live in it yourself.

2) You rent out a property and only have to insure the building as the tenant will do their own contents. In that case you need to let the insurance company know that you are a landlord.

Would this not be the case?

I'd guess if you didn't and there was a claim then they might use the ambiguity to wriggle out of a payout.

Be careful.
    Correct. Don't forget you need liability cover for your tenants if it is let. The public liability that attaches to a standard Buildings or Buildings/Contents policy infers owner occupancy

Advertisement