Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Mortal Kombat Movie... Could It Be True?

Options
  • 30-09-2011 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭

According to Gamespot, yes it can be true.. And a new game too.
    It turns out the critically reviled Mortal Kombat: Annihilation didn't annihilate the fighting series' filmic potential after all. The Los Angeles Times today is reporting that Warner Bros.' New Line Cinemas division is moving ahead with plans to produce a new Mortal Kombat movie with an eye toward releasing it in 2013.
    mortalkombatrebirth_52674_embed.jpgLateef Crowder as Baraka in Mortal Kombat: Rebirth.

According to the Times, Kevin Tancharoen has been tapped to direct the film. Tancharoen directed the Mortal Kombat: Legacy Web series, as well as the 2009 dance movie Fame. Joining him on the movie will be his writing partner Oren Uziel. The pair previously worked on Mortal Kombat: Rebirth, a YouTube viral video that sparked the development of Legacy.
    The New Line project would be the third Mortal Kombat movie to receive a theatrical release and the first since 1997's Annihilation. The original Mortal Kombat debuted in 1995 to mixed reviews and a reported worldwide box office haul of $122 million off a $25 million budget. Other multimedia Mortal Kombat ventures have included the Saturday-morning cartoon Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realm, the TV series Mortal Kombat: Conquest, and even a touring stage show.
    The Times reports that Warner Bros. and New Line executives are hoping the movie arrives timed along with a new installment of the Mortal Kombat game. It specifically mentions the prospect of launching the movie at the same time the game debuts or including the movie and game together in a Blu-ray or DVD bundles.
    Source- http://us.gamespot.com/news/6337525/next-mortal-kombat-movie-planned-for-2013-report

I'll believe the movie part when I see it. Been kicked in the ass by this more than once. Roll on a new MK game though!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

youve only just had a new MK game!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Helix wrote: »
    youve only just had a new MK game!

Please, sir. Can I have some more? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Christ, Annihilation was an awful movie

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I absolutely adored MK9. But they should give it 2-3 years until the next iteration. I dunno how they can improve on MK9 though, it was perfect. :):)

I'd definitely go see another MK movie, but my expectations are in the toilet. It's extremely hard to do justice. And yes, wow, MKA. Calling it a massive disappointment and a terrible film is being too kind! This coming from a huge MK fan!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Didnt stop capcom releasing two marvel vs capcom games under 8 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

anyone else scream " GET OVER HERE " when looking at the thread title in excitement ? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

According to the Times, Kevin Tancharoen has been tapped to direct the film.

This is what has me excited. The web series was superbly done (watch all 9 episodes here). Critics will still hate it, but gamers will love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,914 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Didnt stop capcom releasing two marvel vs capcom games under 8 months

Two things.

1. It's an update that was originally intended to be a DLC add-on, it's not a sequel.

2. Really? Is that a model you'd want one of your favourite franchises to follow? Releasing update after update to milk the widespread interest as they've no faith in the genre enjoying any prolonged mainstream popularity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Two things.

1. It's an update that was originally intended to be a DLC add-on, it's not a sequel.

2. Really? Is that a model you'd want one of your favourite franchises to follow? Releasing update after update to milk the widespread interest as they've no faith in the genre enjoying any prolonged mainstream popularity?

do i want it to happen ?

no of course not no one does but every company follows a trend of re releasing same franchises every year so they can make easy money

Chuill out, lads. They are thinking 2013 as a release date. That's another two years off if it all runs on time, or even happens at all. I wouldn't say no to a new MK game in two years time. It certainly wouldn't be milking it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I'd be interested to see how they tackle the storyline of MK4-6. They did a phenomenal job with 1-3.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,828 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Maybe they're not working on a new MK Fighting game, but something along the lines of Mythologies or Shaolin Monks...

Anyway, film, yes please! I wonder will he be continuing from Legacy or starting again in the vein of Rebirth? I'd love to see a Rebirth continuation, if only to see his vision of Sub-Zero in the flesh!

139c826c8479f863a6483749b81009f5.jpg

Personally, I couldn't stand Rebirth. The action was superbly done, but the story was too far from the game for my liking. However, I did love Legacy, so I'd be more than happen seeing more of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭Ridley

Kevin Tancharoen interview.

Saw Rebirth and Legacy for the first time yesterday thanks to this thread. I don't mind the interpretation of the material so much but Oren Uziel bring brought back isn't reassuring when he's responsible for "Which brings me to you, Hanzo Hasashi. Before your incarceration you were the top assassin of the Shirai Ryu, the most lethal gang in Japan."

It's the "As you know, your father, the king" speech.

It needs to have someone lean in the door with a sandwich and offer a toastie aswell. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

This news pleases me in a way only sex has come close to achieving.

Advertisement