Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jogging leads

Options
  • 29-09-2011 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

Well myself and hubby have started training for a 5km run in December and I figure if I have to run the dogs can too :D

Does anyone use those jogging belts/leads? Would you recommend any in particular? Bearing in mind I'll be running with 6 dogs...... hubby will have the buggy!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I can't help with your query but your post really raised a smile. I'd love to see pics when you get it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I'm thinking that jogging with the dogs should massively cut down the work I'll have to put in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

I also can't he;p but where is the run as I kepe threatening to start the couch to 5K and would like to have a goal :D Plus I'd have to bring teh doggies so your query relates to me too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Check out http://www.countryhounds.ie they have the belts, bungee leads, harnesses etc.

However, I would not recommend running with 6 dogs, as they will have built up momentum running, and if they should see something they want to go and investigate, there is no way you could stop them, and you going in the direction you want to go in - no matter how well trained you think your dogs are. I had an encounter with a dog poo bin once, with 2 dogs on the belt and leads, when a squirrel ran in front of us - I had to wrap my arms around the bin to stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I think ISDW will be able to point you in the direction of good jogging belts.

I have used a jogging lead... it velcros round my wrist and is a bungee/ springy type of thing. I think the belt would be better as my arm/ shoulder does sometimes hurt from being pulled this way and that. I find it really hard to run with my dog.... in a 3 mile run there'll be 4-6 stops to pee/poo (the dog not me;)) and she's back and forward in front of me, behind me... over the other side... drives me nuts but she loves it.

I can't imagine running with 6 of them! :D That would be too many...:p

• Advertisement

barbiegirl wrote: »
    I also can't he;p but where is the run as I kepe threatening to start the couch to 5K and would like to have a goal :D Plus I'd have to bring teh doggies so your query relates to me too :D

It's the Jingle Bells run in aid of Debra Ireland in Phoneix Park in Dec
    http://www.donoreharriers.com/home_nav_9.html

I'm not sure if you can bring dogs to the actual day
    ISDW wrote: »
    Check out http://www.countryhounds.ie they have the belts, bungee leads, harnesses etc.

However, I would not recommend running with 6 dogs, as they will have built up momentum running, and if they should see something they want to go and investigate, there is no way you could stop them, and you going in the direction you want to go in - no matter how well trained you think your dogs are. I had an encounter with a dog poo bin once, with 2 dogs on the belt and leads, when a squirrel ran in front of us - I had to wrap my arms around the bin to stop.

You're probably very right, it'd just kill me to leave any behind, I have them trained to run to the side of me or behind, last night it worked ok cos I had to stop every few minutes to collapse but a couple of the old ones might not want to do the full 6km running I plan to eventually be able for. So between 1 injured mini JRT that rides in the parcel shelf of the buggy and the old people I might be down to 3.
    littlebug wrote: »
    I find it really hard to run with my dog.... in a 3 mile run there'll be 4-6 stops to pee/poo (the dog not me;)) and she's back and forward in front of me, behind me... over the other side... drives me nuts but she loves it.

I can't imagine running with 6 of them! :D That would be too many...:p

Mine know when we go out power walking or biking that there's no pee/poo stops, I'm a very cruel owner!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 123 sore

If its a 5k in december you might consider doing something like this with your gang! Check out the tongues on these guys!http://http://www.nicolasdory.com/dog-sledding-yukon/
    best of luck with the training...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Check out
    http://www.tailsandtrails.ie/
    The seem to cover running, biking, scootering etc. with dogs.

I have bumped into some of their members a few times when I was out mountain biking and they seem very approachable with very happy dogs.

At some stage I hope to have my Irish Setter help pull me to the top of the hill and race him to the bottom giving a good workout all round!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

you will have to keep us updated with pics:p you all must look like a tornado coming down the road:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Sorry I can't help, but I'd love to see that, there's a guy round here that power walks very fast with 4 dogs, they do get up some speed. he just has them on longish leads, about 5ft. two each side.

ISDW, you post really made me laugh, the image of someone hanging onto a poo bin while dogs try and drag them away. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

Ye could always loop their leads to a belt :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

I used the C25K to train my mini JRT to run with me. He uses the 5 minute walk before you start running to get his first toilet break and sniffs out of the way. It was hard the first few times (and I nearly dislocated my shoulder a number of times with him running off the other direction!) but he got used to the idea and now we do a 20 minute run 5 times a week :D
    I use a regular extending lead for him so he has more freedom to run around a bit and we go around some local fields because if we go near a regular park he's trying to run over to all the other dogs around :)

Best of luck!! I find that running with a dog keeps me running much more than when I used to go out by myself hehe

mymo wrote: »
    Sorry I can't help, but I'd love to see that, there's a guy round here that power walks very fast with 4 dogs, they do get up some speed. he just has them on longish leads, about 5ft. two each side.

ISDW, you post really made me laugh, the image of someone hanging onto a poo bin while dogs try and drag them away. :D

Yeah, I'd say we were a sight alright:D Thank dog it was there though, I had no chance otherwise:rolleyes:

ISDW I was thinking of you this morning, was out powerwalking with little bits of jogging when a rabbit shot across the road in front of me.... plus my dogs! After a couple of very firm 'leave it' commands the ignored it but I could see a couple of them going 'seriously?? Are you mental? that was a rabbit!!'

And after googling this c25k cos I hadn't a notion why people kept saying it to me, I came across this http://www.poochto5k.com/training-programs Pooch 2 5k!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭cat_dog

<snip>

Advertising is not free on this site!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

Just bumping this up to see if anyone can recommend any specific lead for jogging with? At the moment I just use the ordinary lead and hold it in my hand but I would imagine its very annoying for the poor dog as I would be moving my arms and therefore changing the length of the lead depending on the effort I am putting in so she doesn’t know if she is coming or going!! Would the waist ones be better for both me and the dog? Had a look on country hounds but looking for a specific recommendation if anyone has one

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭cat_dog

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭Hooked

Pardon my asking but is such a lead not more of a hindrance? Its elasticated, allows the dog to run ahead, behind, and worse, across in front of you? Or run the wrong side of a pole/bollard only to be snapped back on it's arse?

Myself and my girlfriend run with our now 10 month old siberian husky who I've trained (since 6 months old) to heel at my side when we walk/run. Now - he's on his regular 7 meter lead, attached to his padded harness when walking. And is verbally released to roam and sniff and pee at intervals.

But when it's time to run, I leave a few feet of slack on the lead so I'm not tugging him when my arms are swinging. And off we go. Personally I'd be wary if he was on a longer/elasticated lead as he's be ahead or lagging behind... or worse, dart across in front of me - causing me or him to fall.

Or am I missing the point of these bungee leads?

The bungee leads and belts really are for canicross, where the dog is meant to run in front of you, helping you by pulling you along a bit, not really running at heel next to you.

I walk my dogs on the belts and bungee leads and have no problems with them, they save my arms from being different lengths and leave my hands free to hold poo bags etc.

I like the Manmat bungee leads, I've always found them very strong and a nice length.

Advertisement