Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chromebooks , why?

Options
  • 29-09-2011 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

why would you buy a chromebook? , i don't see what so good about it it over 450 Euros and could get a similar spec netbook much cheaper
    so what the point?
    only thing they have is 3g and chromium os

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Firblog

Been wondering that myself, you could get laptop with i3/320GB/3GB/HDMI/DVDrw for that kinda money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

8 sec boot time that about 20 sec realistic
    i dont see them selling.unless they come down in price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

The Acer Chromebook is about €260 in the States.

I don't think they're quite ready for the wider consumer market yet, but could see how they could cut down a lot on support costs for some businesses or schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

For schools or colleges, $20 per month including all enterprise software is a pretty good value proposition.

I would like to replace my work MacBook air with one, as all of my work is done in the cloud. Almost 100% of my work on my laptop is done in the browser.

Peanut wrote: »
    The Acer Chromebook is about €260 in the States.

I don't think they're quite ready for the wider consumer market yet, but could see how they could cut down a lot on support costs for some businesses or schools.
    $349 is not €260

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

€262.840789 according to Google as of 17:29 today.

I take your implication that this is not a price available here due to shipping, import duty + VAT & consumer exchange rates, however it was just meant to be a direct comparison of the $ price.

A sample retail price here is €340 including delivery. Acer AC700

Peanut wrote: »
    €262.840789 according to Google as of 17:29 today.

I take your implication that this is not a price available here due to shipping, import duty + VAT & consumer exchange rates, however it was just meant to be a direct comparison of the $ price.

A sample retail price here is €340 including delivery. Acer AC700
    i bite my tongue

Advertisement