Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diploma in Irish

Options
  • 29-09-2011 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Has anyone done the Diploma in Irish?

I am considering doing this along side my current degree. Just wondering how much time it will take up and how difficult it would be. I will probably do the B2 level as I havent done any Irish in quiet some time?

I am not doing it for job prospects but just to learn how to speak Irish.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Ficheall

It's been some six years since I did it, so things may have changed, but if you're only doing it to learn Irish and not for any qualification, then I'd say you'd be better off just finding some people to speak Irish to. There are plenty of them around. We seemed to do nothing but grammar for the diploma, and it was painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭ryan84

What level did you do? I tried to look for some basic Irish classes to practice some conversation but couldn't find any. And unfortunately I don't know anyone that speaks it fluently.

It says there are a written and an oral exam so surely the oral part at least will help me have a better grasp of the language.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

If you want to speak gaeilge, you are better off finding a social circle is beir ar an dteanga.
    An Cumann Craic might be a good starting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭ryan84

snubbleste wrote: »
    If you want to speak gaeilge, you are better off finding a social circle is beir ar an dteanga.
    An Cumann Craic might be a good starting point.

Good idea. Will look into that tomorrow. Thanks :)

I am going to go in and find out more about the course tomorrow too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I think the SU were to organise ciorcail comhra this year too, I'm not sure how that worked out.
    But yes, cumann craic or cumann dramaiochta are probably your best bet.
    Or you could just speak Irish to whatever group of people you're hanging out with - some of them are probably well able to speak Irish but just don't put in the effort. About a quarter of the people in my degree class had Irish, but it was just never spoken. About a third of the people in ChessSoc would be well able to hold a conversation with you in Irish.
    I think you just have to drop the cupla focal into conversation and someone will pick up on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 galwaygirl1991

I'm doing it at the moment, B2. I wouldn't do it if I was back again, complete waste of money. I did this level because I wanted to improve my fluency in the speaking the language, and they say that B2 level is all about improving your speaking of the language. I'm in my second year of it now and have never really gotten a chance to speak much Irish, most people don't even attend the classes.

Advertisement