Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large Pint Bottles in Dublin

Options
  • 29-09-2011 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

Is there anywhere that sells large pint bottles of Guinness or Smithwicks in Dublin? I come from the wilds of West Waterford/East Cork where the pint bottle off the shelf is the thinking man's drink. Can't find it for love nor money in Dublin. Found a place that does pint bottles of McCardles recently but thought it was a fairly woeful beer...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I've never seen bottled Smithwick's in Dublin, but most any of the old-style Dublin pubs have large bottles of Guinness: Brazen Head, Stag's Head, Long Hall, Mulligan's Poolbeg Street: that sort of place.

And if you're feeling homesick you can get a large bottle of Dungarvan Black Rock or Copper Coast in O'Neill's of Suffolk Street, The Palace, The Bull & Castle, L. Mulligan Grocer, Against the Grain and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

There is a fine wines shop next to the Hilton hotel in Clare hall that have pint bottles of smithwicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Is there a noticeable difference between McArdles and Smithwicks?

Large bottles of Guinness are available far and wide. Even out in the wilds of North Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

a large pint bottle :confused:
    a pint is a pint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

a large pint bottle :confused:
    a pint is a pint

They are called large bottles
    they are called pint bottles
    they are sometimes called large pint bottles

OP, Large Bottles of guinness are becoming more and more available in lots of pubs all across the fine city of Dublin, used to be you'd be stuck in a smelly bar if you wanted one, but not any more.

You probably need to ask the barman, I always do when I go into a place, and about 7 times out of ten, they have them. Now, about 5 of those seven times they'll have them in the fridge, but if you ask them to take a few out, and just drink the first one cold, it won't kill you.

• Advertisement

n97 mini wrote: »
    Is there a noticeable difference between McArdles and Smithwicks?
    I've never tested it blind, but I think there is. Bottled Smithwick's is really nice, with a lot more body and flavour than the draught version. Macardle's is pretty lifeless in both incarnations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

BeerNut wrote: »
    Bottled Smithwick's is really nice, with a lot more body and flavour than the draught version.

Shouldn't canned Smithwicks taste the same as bottled ?

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Shouldn't canned Smithwicks taste the same as bottled ?
    I guess it should. The blind tasting line-up grows...

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

I happened to go the the Gravedigger last night where they had it. Though I have been in several old man pubs where I've been surprised not to find the pint bottle. The hunt for Smithwicks continues.

McCardles is a rather odd one. Never heard of it till I saw it in a pub recently and was excited by the prospect of an Irish ale I'd not tried before. Alas, it was remarkable in it's insipidness - very fizzy and curiously lacking in any sort of taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Subpopulus wrote: »
    I happened to go the the Gravedigger last night where they had it. Though I have been in several old man pubs where I've been surprised not to find the pint bottle. The hunt for Smithwicks continues.

McCardles is a rather odd one. Never heard of it till I saw it in a pub recently and was excited by the prospect of an Irish ale I'd not tried before. Alas, it was remarkable in it's insipidness - very fizzy and curiously lacking in any sort of taste.

Yeh I found that with MacArdles, almost flavourless, Ive had people try turn me around by saying 'a drop of red lemonade' and its gorgeous, in which case it just tastes like lemonade, or have it in a pint glass with ice, in which case you REALLY can't taste anything, I tried explaining this to them but got nowhere.

I would like to try a smithwicks pint bottle tho, mite try get up to clarehall soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭SteeveeDee

They used to have pint bottles of Smithwicks in the thomas house on thomas street.Not sure now though since they reopened,worth a try as they were good value too.Oddly enough the spar just up the road from there has them too.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

BeerNut wrote: »
    I guess it should. The blind tasting line-up grows...

Around 15 yrs since I last tasted a can of Smithwicks, around the same time I stopped drinking the draft version when I discovered porterhouse brews and other ales with decent flavour. Might give it a go again in cans just to see if I was right to abandon it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Work in a small enough place in South Kildare that does Guinness, Smithwicks & McCardles in large bottles. Both options of off the shelf or from the cooler. Not even an old man's smelly pub either, that's to the front of the establishment :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Tommy O'Gara's in Stoneybatter does the pint bottle of McArdles, Smitwicks and Guinness. Grogans is another...

The pint bottle of stout, my usual drink, seems to have arrived in Cork recently. A year ago they looked at you like you had two heads if you asked for one.

Now they just presume you're from Wexford. Mind you, you'll never have a pint bottle like the one you'll get in Patrick Furlong's in Enniscorthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Good, as I'm in Stoneybatter a few times a year.

Hard to get in Galway. I expected Garavan's to have it, but no.

The Old Forge on William street West don't stock it either, which really surprised me, as that pub seems to be in a 70s time warp.

Harry's on High street in Sligo sell pint bottles at 3.50, good value, but a grim pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Geuze wrote: »
    Good, as I'm in Stoneybatter a few times a year.

In that case, go into L Mulligan Grocer.

Fantastic selection of Irish Craft Beers on draught, AND Large Bottles of Guinness.

If you like Large Bottles of Guinness, you should sample Trouble Brewing's Dark Arts Porter, which conveniently, is available on tap on L Mulligan's :)

Advertisement