Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling into Dublin city centre from Celbridge/Leixlip

Options
  • 29-09-2011 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Does anyone have any tips or recommendations for cycling in from the Celbridge/ Leixlip area. Areas to look out for? best route into town? dangerous or high risk roads to avoid. Suggested road gear for cycling that distance?
    Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Its either the N4 or the Strawberry beds/Chapelizod. If your further south of those two towns then through Peamount hospital on the Nangor rd then join the Naas Rd at Bluebell.

If you don't fancy the N4 then maybe start out on the Strawberry beds. Its the route I take into town though I'm not a regular commuter that way. All the routes have there hazards but you get use to them.

edit: If your taking the Strawberry Beds route you need good lights and high-visibility clothing. There is no street lighting for several kms. Actually kinda cool - I've ridden home that way well past midnight and not seen a car from either direction, just you and the dark and a few critters to give you a fright!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Does anyone have any tips or recommendations for cycling in from the Celbridge/ Leixlip area. Areas to look out for? best route into town? dangerous or high risk roads to avoid. Suggested road gear for cycling that distance?
    The N4 route is pretty direct and fast, once you learn to deal with the off/on ramps.
    The hardest bits are where the buslane turns-off the main drag, but the trick that works for me, is to get out of the buslane well in advance of the turn (look for a nice long gap). Fortunately, Irish motorists avoid driving in the left-hand 'slow' lane, for fear of be stigmatized as slow, so gaps come along a lot.
    After Palmerstown its plain sailing.

See you there?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 canhascheez

I commute Celridge to D8 daily. My route and tips would be..

Into town:

Go through Lucan village, mind out for cars turning right at the junction beside AIB. After the school at the top of the hill before woodies mind out for cars coming out of estates on the right hand side and cutting through the traffic into the bus lane.

At woddies I use the seperate cycle lane until after the foot bridge, back into the bus lane at the factory on the left. I jump lane just before the bridge over the m50, be careful here and wait for a good gap.

Bus lane now all the way through palmerstown, mind the chapilizod turn off for cars overtaking you and cutting in. Use the bypass into town, if traffic is heavy and a bus is behind I will jump into the middle of the two lanes to let them through.

From the SCR roundabout you are into city cycling, so the usual.. watch out for doors, buses and lane jumpers.

Out of town

Out the bypass again, same as going in.. if traffic is heavy and I have a bus behind me I will jump into the middle of the lanes coming up to palmerstown. At palmerstown I turn right and go through the village, using the foot and bike bridge over the m50. Follow the bike route from here to the liffey valley round about.

I go under the N4 and turn left up the cycle lane, towads town (this seems to be the intended bike route to lucan as it sign posted). When at the N4 I get back into the bus lane to avoid the glass covered bike lane. Not much to note now from here to the spa hotel. Stay in the bus lane and mind out at the Texaco station for ppl that will cut you off or pull out in front of you. Also be careful at the juntion before the spa hotel for cars pulling out.

Overall its a fine cycle and I rarely have any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I did Leixlip to Dun Laoghaire a while ago for a few weeks however I used the canal which may or may not suit you. Its probably as short as the other trip mentioned above but without the hassles of crossing the M50 junction..

Leixlip > N4 > off ramp before Woodies > St Lomans road > Fonthill road > Coldcut Road >Cherry Orchard > Ballyfermot > Kilmainham > Suir Road > Canal down to Leeson St and out towards Donnybrook..

Not a bad cycle except from some poor road surfaces around ballyfermot/Kilmainham..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,764 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Not a bad cycle except from some poor road surfaces around ballyfermot/Kilmainham..
    And watch out for the pinch points in Ballyfermot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Does the N4 take you to Mullingar

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Carpenter wrote: »
    Does the N4 take you to Mullingar
    The old N4 does, past Maynooth, Kilcock, Enfield.... You want to turn off at Leixlip thought, or you'll end up on the M4 (and have to pay a toll!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

rp wrote: »
    The old N4 does, past Maynooth, Kilcock, Enfield.... You want to turn off at Leixlip thought, or you'll end up on the M4 (and have to pay a toll!).

Would it be possible to stay on the M4 all the way down :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

If cycling, I would head out the R148 (the old N4) -> Leixlip - Maynooth - Kilcock - Enfield - Clonard - Kinnegad. That avoids the M4 motorway and runs almost aprallel to it. Then, it's back to the Old N4 from Kinnegan to Mullingar. Have cycled this route to Tullamore, coming off at Kinnegad for Kilbeggan.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭seven stars

Cheers for the info in this thread lads. I tried my very first commute this morning on the N4, and it went fine. I stuck to the bus lanes the whole way in (Lucan bypass / M50 roundabout / Chapelizod bypass), and I was a bit nervous about the intersections and sliproads, but everything went well - no issues to report at all.

Having said that, I left quite early to avoid most of the buses and the worst of the traffic. And traffic's generally lighter on a Friday anyway I suppose. And the weather was nice. God knows what it'll be like on a wet Tuesday in November?

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 texasdawg420

Thanks for all the comments!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I cycle in on the N4 from Lucan every day. It's worth noting that if you want to avoid the M50 junction, you can come off at the busstop for Liffey Valley (at the pedestrian bridge). There is a cycle lane here that uses the pedestrian bridge over the m50 and then leaves you off at the Old Palmerstown Rd. You can then rejoin the N4 at Palmerstown village. During the week I leave very early in the morning, so there's not much traffic, but at weekends I always use this route to avoid the madness at the M50. Only adds about a minute to the journey time too.

On another note, I always come home via the Strawberry Beds, but the evenings are closing in, and soon I'll be looking for an alternative. I prefer to avoid the N4 in the afternoon/evening due to the high traffic volume. Any other suggestions for a route from D1 to Lucan village?

Can't help there bogmanfan - I'm a newcomer to the game myself. But tell me this: are you happy enough to go straight in by the N4 when it's dark, or are there additional risks involved? I'd rather leave early in the morning to avoid traffic, but this means that it'd be dark for most of the commute.

I go straight in by the N4, but I leave Lucan before 6.00am and it's been dark for a few weeks now at that hour. On the plus side, there is very little traffic, which is great. I have a good set of lights, and an Altura Night Vision jacket, as well as two reflective armbands, so I'm pretty well lit up in the dark. For me, I'd rather darkness to traffic any day.
    Can't help there bogmanfan - I'm a newcomer to the game myself. But tell me this: are you happy enough to go straight in by the N4 when it's dark, or are there additional risks involved? I'd rather leave early in the morning to avoid traffic, but this means that it'd be dark for most of the commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

bogmanfan wrote: »
    On another note, I always come home via the Strawberry Beds, but the evenings are closing in, and soon I'll be looking for an alternative. I prefer to avoid the N4 in the afternoon/evening due to the high traffic volume. Any other suggestions for a route from D1 to Lucan village?

I presume you want to stay on a lit road? I think any alternative will add time/distance to your journey. Depends too what part of Lucan your commuting to and from. Its a big place!

From town, through Chapelizod and up the Le Fanu road onto Ballyfermot road/Coldcut road taking you to Fonthill road. You can work out a route home for yourself from there, I'm sure.

Would you be happy going through Ballyfermot? Well lit, good roads, and little aggro despite what you might think..

velo.2010 wrote: »
    I presume you want to stay on a lit road? I think any alternative will add time/distance to your journey. Depends too what part of Lucan your commuting to and from. Its a big place!

From town, through Chapelizod and up the Le Fanu road onto Ballyfermot road/Coldcut road taking you to Fonthill road. You can work out a route home for yourself from there, I'm sure.

Would you be happy going through Ballyfermot? Well lit, good roads, and little aggro despite what you might think..

Cheers mate. No problem adding time or distance, not usually in a hurry on the way home. I used to come home through Ballyfermot a while back, must give it a try again. It's only for the odd evening when I'm late. Usually home by 3.00, so Strawberry Beds will be fine most days.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭mp31

I cycle in on the N4 from Lucan every day. It's worth noting that if you want to avoid the M50 junction, you can come off at the busstop for Liffey Valley (at the pedestrian bridge). There is a cycle lane here that uses the pedestrian bridge over the m50 and then leaves you off at the Old Palmerstown Rd. You can then rejoin the N4 at Palmerstown village. During the week I leave very early in the morning, so there's not much traffic, but at weekends I always use this route to avoid the madness at the M50. Only adds about a minute to the journey time too.

I saw this today driving into town this morning.. would never have known it was there but it looks much easier than dealing with the N4 as it crosses the M50.

I'm not sure about using the Chapelizod bypass - the surface looks great and there's a bus lane all the way but that hill up to the lights looks like it will destroy me legs (I've got thighs made out of jelly it seems which I guess is not surprising considering the distinct lack of exercise over the last 12 years)

I thought about coming off the Lucan road instead of the bypass and then taking Martins Row before going along the Chapelizod Road next the Phoenix park till I get to Smithfield which is where I work.

Any recommendations for either route?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

For the climb, just drop a few gears and spin. It'll take a while but won't be hard.

The bypass has the advantage of multiple lanes so less risk of sideswipes (unless the bus drivers are of the impatient kind). The Chapelizod Village / Phoenix Park route is single lane but maybe less busy in the mornings. Many more crossings / junctions to interact with other traffic though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

not trying to stir things up - just want to ensure the OP understands that some of the advice/Routes given may involve breaking the law.

its illegal to cycle on the motorway (N4) - Its more of a safety issue, plenty of car drivers are idiots and the debris on the hard shoulder can easily cause an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

PCPhoto wrote: »
    not trying to stir things up - just want to ensure the OP understands that some of the advice/Routes given may involve breaking the law.

its illegal to cycle on the motorway (N4) - Its more of a safety issue, plenty of car drivers are idiots and the debris on the hard shoulder can easily cause an accident.

N4 is not a motorway. If it was, it would be renamed to M4. And it's no more dangerous to cycle on than any other road around the city.

• Advertisement

The hill on the bypass is grand. As another poster said, just drop down the gears and take your time. It's pretty short, so you'll be up it in no time. As for Chapelizod, the road surface from once you leave the N4 near the West County until you hit the lights at the pub in the village is appalling. Riddled with potholes, cracks etc. Might be ok on a hybrid or mountain bike, but terrible on a road bike. I avoid it at all costs.

mp31 wrote: »
    I saw this today driving into town this morning.. would never have known it was there but it looks much easier than dealing with the N4 as it crosses the M50.

I'm not sure about using the Chapelizod bypass - the surface looks great and there's a bus lane all the way but that hill up to the lights looks like it will destroy me legs (I've got thighs made out of jelly it seems which I guess is not surprising considering the distinct lack of exercise over the last 12 years)

I thought about coming off the Lucan road instead of the bypass and then taking Martins Row before going along the Chapelizod Road next the Phoenix park till I get to Smithfield which is where I work.

Any recommendations for either route?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

RT66 wrote: »
    N4 is not a motorway. If it was, it would be renamed to M4. And it's no more dangerous to cycle on than any other road around the city.

well..if you are travelling from Leixlip you travel on the M4 then if taking the motorway ....the speed limit is 120km/h ...so...thank you Mr or Ms Pedant ...its a motorway.

it is more dangerous than plenty of other roads around the city - for the reasons I have outlined earlier:
    1. illegal - according to rules of the road (and yes they apply to cyclists as well as ALL other road users)
    2. debris on hard shoulder - could easily cause a tyre blow-out or you could find a car stopped or broken down on the hard shoulder.... which forces you onto the main road.
    3. plenty of car/vehicle users are generally idiots.

just to back-up my point
    The N4 commences at O'Connell Bridge (junction with N1) and proceeds up and down the quays along both sides of the River Liffey. In the outward direction the N4 runs via Aston's Quay, Crampton Quay, Wellington Quay, Essex Quay, Wood Quay, Merchant's Quay, Usher's Quay, Usher's Island and Victoria Quay (in the inward direction via Frank Sherwin Bridge, Wolfe Tone Quay, Sarsfield Quay, Ellis Quay, Arran Quay, Inns Quay, Ormond Quay Upper, Ormond Quay Lower and Bachelor's Walk). At the top of the quays the route passes in front of Heuston Station at Kingsbridge, and down the side of the station via Saint John's Road West. Alongside the station the route becomes urban dual carriageway.

West of the railway station the route meets the South Circular Road at grade at a busy junction above the railway line. The dual carriageway continues west along Con Colbert Road and the Chapelizod Bypass (opened in 1987). This section of the N3 is dual two lane carriageway, with an additional lane in each direction for buses having replaced the hard shoulders. The Chapelizod Bypass winds along the south side of the Liffey Valley, continuing on to the earlier Palmerstown Bypass (or Palmerstown-Ballydowd). The Palmerstown Bypass was possibly open in the early 1980s, and was completed sometime around 1985. It has at least two at-grade junctions with median breaks along it.

At the end of the Palmerstown section of the road, the N4 meets junction 7 of the M50 Dublin ring road, at a roundabout intersection (the junction is at-grade with the N4; the M50 passes below). Junction numbering along the N4 begins at this intersection (as Junction 1 on the N4), according to a scheme introduced by the NRA in 2006. The Liffey Valley Shopping Centre is located just southwest of this busy junction, accessed by Junction 2. Around Lucan the N4 continues as a dual two lane carriageway (three lanes each way for a short distance from the M50 junction), again with an additional lane in each direction for buses provided by supplanting the previously present hard shoulders. The Lucan Bypass was opened in 1988 [2], and is 8 km long including the section from the M50. Junctions 3 and 4 of the N4 are located east and west respectively of Lucan village (bypassed to the south).

West of Lucan, the N4 route proceeds as the M4 motorway (dual two lane carriageway with hard shoulder). The first section of the M4, bypassing Leixlip, Maynooth and Kilcock, opened in 1994. The project, comprising 17.6 km of motorway, cost IR£63 million (~€80 million), and included the construction of 11 bridges; one of them being a major crossing of the River Liffey. Junction 5 (according to the route numbering introduced by the NRA in 2006) of the N4, east of Leixlip in County Kildare, marks the beginning of the M4. Full access is provided at Junction 6 west of Leixlip also. Maynooth is served by Junction 7, south of the town. This initial section of the M4 reaches Junction 8, directly west of Kilcock.

The M4 now proceeds west along the border between Counties Kildare and Meath (mostly in the former county) along a bypass project opened in December 2005. The Kilcock-Kinnegad project was a PPP (Public-Private Partnership) scheme, and the route is tolled and operated by Eurolink. A toll plaza is located west of Junction 8, and Junction 9 (for Enfield) has tolls on the eastbound off slip, and westbound on slip. Junction 9 connects to the Enfield relief road, a 2.6 km single carriageway bypass of the town opened in 2002 as part of the N4 at the time. Junction 10, 11 (this is also Junction 1 on N6) and 12 mark the end of the Kilcock-Kinnegad scheme, and are restricted junctions providing access to/from the N6, rest of N4, and Kinnegad.
    http://www.skynet.ie/~zoney/roads/n4.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

well..if you are travelling from Leixlip you travel on the M4 then if taking the motorway ....the speed limit is 120km/h ...so...thank you Mr or Ms Pedant ...its a motorway.

it is more dangerous than plenty of other roads around the city - for the reasons I have outlined earlier:
    1. illegal - according to rules of the road (and yes they apply to cyclists as well as ALL other road users)
    2. debris on hard shoulder - could easily cause a tyre blow-out or you could find a car stopped or broken down on the hard shoulder.... which forces you onto the main road.
    3. plenty of car/vehicle users are generally idiots.

It only changes to motorway after the Leixlip/Celbridge turnoff heading out of the city, so your reason 1 doesn't apply.
    It has bus and cycle lanes all the way out so your reason 2 doesn't apply.
    Reason 3 applies on all roads.

cdaly_ wrote: »
    For the climb, just drop a few gears and spin. It'll take a while but won't be hard.

The bypass has the advantage of multiple lanes so less risk of sideswipes (unless the bus drivers are of the impatient kind). The Chapelizod Village / Phoenix Park route is single lane but maybe less busy in the mornings. Many more crossings / junctions to interact with other traffic though.
    The hill on the bypass is grand. As another poster said, just drop down the gears and take your time. It's pretty short, so you'll be up it in no time. As for Chapelizod, the road surface from once you leave the N4 near the West County until you hit the lights at the pub in the village is appalling. Riddled with potholes, cracks etc. Might be ok on a hybrid or mountain bike, but terrible on a road bike. I avoid it at all costs.

Many thanks for the advice. My minds made up.. it's the bypass for me.

PCPhoto - that's a pretty odd reply. RT66 wasn't being a 'pedant' by correcting your misinformation. It's not illegal to cycle from Leixlip on the N4, and lots of us do it - it's a dual carriageway the whole way, not a motorway. It's surely no more or less dangerous than cycling on any dual carriageway in Dublin.

The route you're talking about (I presume) is a longer detour, which actually would be illegal - and somewhat daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Rhand

Been doing the hill for two days now. In the morning towards Lucan from D1 I haven't been able to complete it, mostly because after a few seconds there's a row of cars behind me and I feel bad to force them to drive 7 km/h so I just step off onto the little pavement and walk uphill :D
    In the evening it's easier, I think the slope from Lucan to Dublin is less steep and the road is a little wider so cars have no problem to drive by me.

Which hill do you mean mate? Are you going up Knockmaroon Hill?
    Rhand wrote: »
    Been doing the hill for two days now. In the morning towards Lucan from D1 I haven't been able to complete it, mostly because after a few seconds there's a row of cars behind me and I feel bad to force them to drive 7 km/h so I just step off onto the little pavement and walk uphill :D
    In the evening it's easier, I think the slope from Lucan to Dublin is less steep and the road is a little wider so cars have no problem to drive by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Rhand

Which hill do you mean mate? Are you going up Knockmaroon Hill?

Don't know the streetname, it's at an old factory or something though. It's a bit after the bus (66/67) leave the Chapelizod road.

I commute Celridge to D8 daily. My route and tips would be..

Out of town

Out the bypass again, same as going in.. if traffic is heavy and I have a bus behind me I will jump into the middle of the lanes coming up to palmerstown. At palmerstown I turn right and go through the village, using the foot and bike bridge over the m50. Follow the bike route from here to the liffey valley round about.

I go under the N4 and turn left up the cycle lane, towads town (this seems to be the intended bike route to lucan as it sign posted).

Cycled home to Maynooth tonight in the rain - the first 10km were grand but the rain got worse, my feet got wet and cold and the remaining 16k destroyed me.
    Anyway, I can't work out the best route home after coming over the N4 footbridge (from Palmerstown).
    Are you saying that once you go under the N4, you turn left and go up the slip road against the flow of traffic (but on the bike path) and then at the top turn left to rejoin the N4 heading towards Lucan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Sean02

Depends on where in Celbridge/Leixlip. but whatever avoid the Strawberry Beds unless you like russian roulette.

Advertisement