Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nothing stopping Robert Kubica from racing

Options
  • 29-09-2011 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭

Kubica physically on his way

Obviously, even if he's physically put back together, he'll have to go through an insane amount of training to get his muscles to where he needs them to be, and to get his head and reactions back to where he needs them to be. I have to say, I'll still be surprised if he's racing next year.

Having said that though, Mika Hakkinen returned from a potentially fatal accident and was stronger than ever...Could the same happen with Kubica?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

As Ficus said the grapevine isn't as positive as that article. :pac: Really hope he makes it back but I'd be very surprised if he gets near the level he used to be at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

TBH, I was very surprised to read the story myself. No reason to doubt it at the moment, as P-F1 normally aren't sensationalist. But Robert was too badly broken up to be able to waltz back into F1. I remember seeing forum members there talking about Robert returning in June!

Alessandro Nannini never came back to F1 after a helicopter accident that severed an arm in 1990. Arguably similar circumstances too, as Nannini was a young guy seen as having a lot of potential. Personally, I don't think Kubica will ever return to F1 racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

There's been lots of stories about how much progress Kubica has made but in private earlier in the year, around April, there was little to no hope that he would recover enough to return.

However as the season has progressed there has much more positive talk about his recovery. Most magazines, websites etc were unwilling to write Kubica off in print even though in private there was very little hope within much of the industry that he would recover.

The last few months though has seen a seachange. When I was in Barcelona I was talking to various journalists and all agreed that it was unlikely but by the time I went to Silverstone it had become pretty clear to a lot of people within the paddock that Robert should be able to make a full recovery in terms of everyday life.

Whether it is enough to get back to racing at the highest level is another story but, by and large, the paddock is much more optimistic now than they were six months ago and now no-one is willing to write off the prospect of him racing in F1 again, even next year if he can get his strength back

Advertisement