Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

salmon return to tolka

Options

Comments

This may sound completely stupid but why are they there? Don't they go back to where they were born?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Good point! Primordial memory?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

maybe they have been released as smolts in the tolka by some agency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

This may sound completely stupid but why are they there? Don't they go back to where they were born?

Good question. A very high proportion of Salmon are able to locate their river of origin and return there for breeding, but others don't and often end up in different rivers or rivers nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Well blasht it anyway, I wanted to ask that question ...
    But since you've answered, Srameen, then I guess the follow-up question is : how is this known ? (that "others don't and often end up in different rivers or rivers nearby")

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Tagging!!

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Cool, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Tolka Anglers release a lot of trout into the river. I'd be interested to know if they released salmon or if this is a natural occurence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

If you think about it, any site-faithful migrant (e.g. swallow) depends on a small % going "astray" to a different breeding site - otherwise the stock would be destroyed by inbreeding.

Also, without this phenomenon, salmon would never have left a single river system they evolved in.

I don't believe this is based on releases (ie a ranching project), I am sure these are Boyne/Liffey/Dargle salmon that have bred in the Tolka.

LC

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

excellent news.

• Advertisement
Advertisement