Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Root Canal impossible due to inflammation

Options
  • 28-09-2011 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just wanted to share my experience here and see what people think about it.

After visiting the dentist for an abscess I had an appointment for root canal treatment on a lower molar. A 'locum' suggested the appointment.

So I went this morning and the resident dentist first warned me that not every case is suitable for a root canal treatment, and the antibiotics for the treatment of the abscess are not always 100% successful.

She took an x-ray and showed me areas around the roots where there is still inflammation. She said that this means that root canal is not a good idea for this tooth and now a surgical extraction with a implant is the way to go.

At the moment I cant afford the implant so I might just get the extraction

It all seems to make sense to me but I wanted to see what others think about it.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Andybertson

i am in the same boat, i need a root canal and had to take antibiotics for the last week, i can't afford the root canal so i may go for the extraction. the dentist said that the reason they could not treat it with an infection is that the anaestetic may not work while it is inflammed.
    and there is a 20% chance the root canal may not save the tooth, i may go for the extraction and further down the line have an implant procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Root canal money can be claimed back from tax I think, money should not be a factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

The main reason to do a root canal is because the tooth is infected. The entire purpose of the root canal is to get rid of infection and stop it coming back. There are reasons not to do a root canal: If the tooth is so badly damaged that the tooth could not support a crown or filling is the main reason. Dentist call this "unrestorable" apart from that to other main reasons are economic. If the root canal is difficult and beyond the dentists experience to do then referral to a root canal expert (endodontist) is an option. There is very little these endodontists cannot successfully treat. They will charge more than a regular dentist.

Antibiotics do not clear infection from teeth and certainly not on a X-ray. Antibiotics reduce the infection somewhat and get rid of pain for a short while. Bone healing on a X-ray requires a good root canal and several months to see.

My advice would be....save the tooth if at all possible. Take the dentists advice as to whether the tooth is restorable and its long term prospects. If the tooth is unrestorable then have a 1st stage root canal done to clear the infection and a temporary filling put in. Even if the tooth needs to be cut to gum level this is better than extraction. When the tooth is removed the bone will shrink and this could make implants difficult and more expensive in the future. If you can maintain the roots there for some time it give you time to think about saving for an implant and maintains to bone.

Good luck

Advertisement