Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Moore Park to Seapoint via beach

Options
  • 28-09-2011 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I regularly run from work (Baggott St) home (Dalkey) in the evening. Its a fantastic route along the coast as I often go out via Sean Moore Park and along the promenade.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get from the Strand Road across to Seapoint at low tide without getting seriously wet??

I'd like to try and avoid Rock Road and the detour through blackrock if possible

Any runners / walkers out there ever done it??

Comments

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Good question...I'd like to know this too???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭donaghs

Doubt it. Once you get to the end of Sandymount Strand it gets risky. Most of the time its possible to get around the backs of the houses to Merrion Gates, but the strand in front of Booterstown marsh is more unpredictable. However, once you get to Booterstown station, why not run through the park? This route will bring you all the way to Blackrock station. I'm taking an educated guess that's impossible from about Blackrock station to Seapoint Martello Tower to run along the coast-line.

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

donaghs wrote: »
    I'm taking an educated guess that's impossible from about Blackrock station to Seapoint Martello Tower to run along the coast-line.

That's the problem, not sure there is any walkway by Vance's Harbour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭whitesands

donaghs wrote: »
    I'm taking an educated guess that's impossible from about Blackrock station to Seapoint Martello Tower to run along the coast-line.
    You can't run or walk it, from blackrock to seapoint you have a small fence if I remember correctly, then you have a wall to climb over & it leads you onto a private beach with a small pier & old baths kinda thing.
    Then you have another small wall & can walk at an angle towards seapoint but at full tide you won't get as far as the martello, at mid to low tide it's no problem.
    I don't think it's possible to walk any of this on the beach at low tide without getting soaked.
    It's definitely not a run, more an adventure :D

EDIT: Check this out, it's a helicopter view of Ireland's coastline, select Dublin at the bottom & you'll see what I'm talking about. http://www.coastalhelicopterview.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 16 brodrjam

Wow thanks! Thats a fantastic website - and images at low tide too :D

I'd be happy if i could just avoid the rock road, but outflows like this one (see attached) behind the rock road gas station that pose the biggest problem!

If these are dry, i just need to find a re-entry point if you cant get round the headland just south of blackrock station

Perhaps i'll try it later in the week and report back... depending on tides of course.. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Assuming low tide you can make it as far as Salthill from Sandymount along the beach. You can't make it around from Salthill to Dun Laoghaire without crossing the harbour mouth and that's always going to have sea there.

There are a few outflows along the way, with that one behind the petrol station probably the biggest. As far as I know it's the outflow from the stream that flows through Belfield campus, under the library but I could be wrong. The outflows will always have some water. There are some sort of stepping stones at that one that you can use to get over.

But, but, but . . . the tide is going to be variable and the surface is going to be uneven in many places along the way. You might make it most of the way along but at some point you are going to find yourself running through water, even if only a small puddle. If you're happy to take your chances with getting your feet wet some of the time and going over on your ankle then give it a shot.

There are exit points along the way - footbridges at Booterstow, Williamstown (Blackrock Park), and Blackrock. After that, it's all the way around to Seapoint before you can easily get back to dry land.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 16 brodrjam

I dont mind a bit of water (often stop at the Forty Foot then drip dry the rest of the way home), I just dont want avoid doing a Bear Grylls on the way home from work - i have a young family that I like to see on the odd occasion :rolleyes:

Thaks to all - i'll give it a try to Blackrock at least

PS if you see a story in the Herald about a coastguard rescue in the next few days.. you'll know how I got on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭the beerhunter

did most of it with the dog a few months ago at v low tide. the last stretch after idrone terrace in blackrock to seapoint station stopped me, dampness would have been involved but i can't say how deep.

Advertisement