Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

applied social studies castlebar gmit

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 skisel_2003

waht kind of students would this be not a huge fan of boards hate the fact that people i dont know would be looking at them thats why i hate blogs :cool: i see noone else has commenteedon this one thow not nice :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭eaglej13

waht kind of students would this be not a huge fan of boards hate the fact that people i dont know would be looking at them thats why i hate blogs :cool: i see noone else has commenteedon this one thow not nice :mad:

thats for first reply, basically the blog is for anyone that is studying applied social studies. for general thoughts and for questions relating to the course
    :)

eaglej13 wrote: »

thats for first reply, basically the blog is for anyone that is studying applied social studies. for general thoughts and for questions relating to the course
    :)

Ha ha I know just messing with yea :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

actually i was thinking of applying for this as a mature student for next year still weighting up my options tho.

actually i was thinking of applying for this as a mature student for next year, its in castlebar tho where ya actually do the course tho isnt it

Im in cbar in first year yea it's a good course

• Advertisement

i hear its gone awful quiet up there nowadays

i hear its gone awful quiet up there nowadays

Quite how so?

Quite how so?

like its not a lively spot to go to college i mean. great college but **** al to do up there

Quite how so?

like its not a lively spot to go to college i mean. great college but **** al to do up there

Sapose so there dose be a but going on u just have to look for it it think.

you seem a little sheepish in that post im guessing theres not a lot so

• Advertisement

you seem a little sheepish in that post im guessing theres not a lot so

Not sheepish I just not a big looker of what's going on I go to learn so not the best on the whole social thing :)

Not sheepish I just not a big looker of what's going on I go to learn so not the best on the whole social thing :)

there is the mature side of a student.. college is good, alot of mature students, but still enough KIDS ( haha) to make it fun. something on nearly every night

1st year CA, physcology , how professional should the project be.. as we are first years we are still in the learning phase and we are not really up to speed on what a essay is.(college style). any ideas, would appreciate feed back from 2nd yr students or 3rd.

have no idea how to even start it off i have been typing stuff for ages and none of it makes any sence let alone have anything to do with the assignment its how to put it toghter where to wright in what and how to say it its a lode of blabble!!! :confused: :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DeadSound

eaglej13 wrote: »
    1st year CA, physcology , how professional should the project be.. as we are first years we are still in the learning phase and we are not really up to speed on what a essay is.(college style). any ideas, would appreciate feed back from 2nd yr students or 3rd.

Its normally up to each lecturer . The leacturer you have likes it fairly academic.So make sure you use the correct terms and always reference with Harvard referencing .

• Registered Users Posts: 37 mistee

hi i have applied for that course starting this sept - whats the course like, hard or managable??;)

mistee wrote: »
    hi i have applied for that course starting this sept - whats the course like, hard or managable??;)

yea its managable alright just show up for the lectures and keep on top as you go along and its alot easier but its a great course :):D

thats great thamks

Hi I have applied as a mature student for castlebar and athlone but i am finding it hard to make a decision..

i have applied for the social studies.

please help:confused:

I thinking about doing this course in Athlone or Castlebar....
    I need advise on the Castlebar one.
    Do ye learn about admin medication??:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 whatsthatsmell

Just to say i was in the first group to do the full time applied social studies or A.S.S. .... boy did that lose its funniness quick. that aside i was just thinking back on my time there and how i got there, it was second on my CAO, (sligo jumped by 30 points that year) but i went there because it was a "great course to get a job from" and "sure they are crying out for social care workers" and because i was an idiot 18 year old pushed into it by his pushy mother who was fed full of **** by other women whos friends had children who 'were making a fortune' anyway that aside i would up going to castlebar, a grubby cold and unfriendly town where it always seems to be raining, no seriously its like Angela's ashes, its nice for the first week and exam week and it will rain for the rest of your degree ... i think its because its just 10 miles inshore off the atlantic, the college its self was once a jail for most of connaught at one time which was then turned into a mental hospital and was one up until the early 90's so be ready for the whole long narrow corridors, high ceilings and DAMPNESS and a car park which you will have to campout to get a space in (seriously i saw two get into a serious fight in the lashing rain over a parking space one day) ... the lecturers offices are the padded cells used on patients, as i was saying we were the first full time year so we were the Guinea pigs (another joke that got old pretty quick) but for that we had everything to figure out through trial and error, our head man (course co-ordinator) who is a very intelligent, well respected and published sociologist. is above all a very nice guy and i can say that he spoke to us in our names any time he met us and was very pleasant and understanding to deal with. however i feel that his dream of having a revolutionary new and up to date course was somewhat crushed and squashed into a box by the GMIT juggernaut and by the Nursing department which at the time was headed up by a very unpleasant piece of work who looked down her nose at us, so we always seemed to be on the back foot regarding rooms and times and all that jazz. now i know i sound like a real negative person who will only give out and maybe that is true but gmit has to be the closest thing to a play school one can get to as regards a college, it was crazy there didn't really seem to be any ground plan as regards a structure and we sort of just shuffled from room to room aimlessly and sat through power point after power point with no real practical work at all, we got an hour and a half of manual handling in 3 years !!!... we then had 6 weeks of work placement in 2nd year and 12 (i think) in 3rd year. some of the lecturers were an absolute joke and altho were nice people were not up to the task of teaching at 3rd level and most had no experience working in the social care industry, some of which seemed to be almost bullied by some of the mature students in the class...... oh yes 90% of the class were so called "mature students" MATURE STUDENTS EVERYWHERE !!!! and altho most of them were dead sound and really nice people there was their share of people who started every sentence with "as a parent" and talked down to anyone. then tried to be popular by organising the infamous class nights out which usually resulted in drunken messy 30-40 something year olds getting in fights with each other and people crying .... i went twice and was "washing my hair" any time they were on after that, okay rant over GMIT Castlebar has some good points, due to its small size 800 approx. full time we are like one big family (as we found out) when bad things happen and the support network is pretty big if you need help and if you walk down the hall or town your bound to see another GMIT head smiling back at you which can mean a lot if your having a hard time, the SU when i was there was manned by some of the most dedicated young people i have ever met and they tried to make sure that you were always looked after and put on a pretty good ball every year along with other events Rag week, shag week, clubs and soc's and christmas dinner were all nice touches, i know that people will make fun of the canteen and say its dear and the food is rotten but i will say the staff will always say hello and the polite and attend college events out of hours which really makes all the difference. another thing i will mention without naming names is a law lecturer who is hands down the best lecturer in the college, they are professional and timely and do exactly what you want and expect a college lecturer to do and they will insure that you are equipped with all you need for exams and the work place i know i sound like a teachers pet, but this lecturer put on additional lunchtime lecturers for any one that wanted to attend, she was very passionate and encouraged debate and supported us all the way through college. i know this sounds silly but it really means a lot to have a good teacher, all in all i would give castlebar a 5 out of 10 and really really do ask yourself if you want to go there there are some really good points but i feel as far as course content (law excluded) and lecturers go you were as well off watching the jerry springer show if you want to learn about social care.

I have completed first year of Social Studies in Castlebar, I found the course very good, granted as with all courses there are 1 or 2 modules that are pointless or lecture is crap, but in general I found it very good. Once you keep on top of everything and attend classes it is fine.

Advertisement