Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cisco modem to Belkin router DNS error

Options
  • 27-09-2011 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭

I hope this is the correct forum for this.

I have UPC Cable broadband with a Cisco wireless router. Unfortunately whenever I connect to the wireless network and then fire up my work VPN it kills the wireless network. This is not just my cisco UPC router it happens on other peoples Cisco wireless routers connected to UPC cable. The VPN works when connected directly into the router using an ethernet cable so the problem seems to lie in the wireless on the Cisco modem/router.

Anyway my bright idea to fix this was to disable the wireless on the cisco modem/router and connect up a belkin wireless router to it to act as the wireless router. This has the added advantage of getting me a faster 300Mbps local network and moving up to the 5GHz 802.11n band away from all my neighbours on the 2.4GHz band.
    The problem I have is that anything connected to the belkin box is experiencing DNS problems. DNS resolution on web browsers times out and it takes numerous refreshs to get it to work. It is very frustrating.
    I have tried changing the DNS servers on the belkin box to Open DNS servers but this has the same result. Plugging a computer directly into the cisco box works fine so the problem seems to be either inthe belkin box or the connection between the belkin and cisco boxes.

Can anybody advise if there is something I'm not doing or something specific I need to do to configure this.

Thanks

Advertisement