Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa Question

Options
  • 27-09-2011 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

I've applied to do a semester in the states from January to May. I should get it but I'm wondering about a Visa. Im currently on coop in Holland, and will be until December. So I'm wondering if I woud be able to do my interview in the embassy in Amsterdam.

Any information would be very helpful. Or an email address for someone who knows about the visa system I'm been looking but cant find anything. Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Strictly speaking you're supposed to obtain the visa through the US embassy in the country in which you permanently live (i.e. not Holland!) and they are usually processed quicker in Dublin than in Amsterdam.

Is your study abroad office not able to help you out?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭simonmln

They said they dont know, and to contact the embassy. The thing is I could come home and do the interview, but wouldnt they then take my passport. i.e. I couldnt go back to Holland. Could I travel back and post it maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Yeah they keep your passport for around a week-ish and then post it back with the visa in it assuming all went well at the interview. If you're unlikely to be home for more than a week before December the embassy in Amsterdam has a contact email address on this page - sometimes they won't answer questions via email and insist you call their premium phone line but it's worth a shot.

Advertisement