Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfer money

Options
  • 27-09-2011 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭

I have just started a job in northern Ireland, had to get a bank ac up here too.

Can someone tell me the best method to transfer money to my Irish boi account to cover loans etc

Apparently I can't add my Irish boi as a beneficiary to my uk boi online and transfer that way.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Can you not just phone the bank and ask them to arrange the transfer?

You could always just write yourself a cheque and deposit it to your Irish account, possibly by mailing it to a family member or directly to the branch manager with a deposit slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    Can you not just phone the bank and ask them to arrange the transfer?

You could always just write yourself a cheque and deposit it to your Irish account, possibly by mailing it to a family member or directly to the branch manager with a deposit slip.

There are charges for this. It might be the cheapest way, but it's worth checking how much this would cost. It's also worth checking how much cash withdrawals in the south would cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

I use currencyfair.com, it takes a week from Stg to Eur account.
    Did a transfer 20 mins ago, got 1.14 rate (3 euro fee)
    I have also transfered in the branch, which is instant (BOI to BOI), but that was in the Irish branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

+1 currency fair. I find it brilliant, with good rates and the €3/£3 fee is not huge if you are transferring a decent amount. The rate is certainly better than teh bank rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Richard wrote: »
    There are charges for this. It might be the cheapest way, but it's worth checking how much this would cost. It's also worth checking how much cash withdrawals in the south would cost.

Everything has charges. Another thing to look out for is an unfavourable exchange rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

I just don't get how u can transfer in boi at home to another boi but u can't here! Gah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Misticles wrote: »
    I just don't get how u can transfer in boi at home to another boi but u can't here! Gah

Probably because of the currency conversion and the costs it entails.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭almalahide

Hey,

You can avoid charges by moving euros from AIB (ANYWAY) not sure about BOI, to your UK ac by international payment, then BoI will change into sterling and put it in your account. Works from me from AIB to UB NI anyway without charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

almalahide wrote: »
    Hey,

You can avoid charges by moving euros from AIB (ANYWAY) not sure about BOI, to your UK ac by international payment, then BoI will change into sterling and put it in your account. Works from me from AIB to UB NI anyway without charges?

I think they want to change from UK account to Euro account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Richard wrote: »
    Probably because of the currency conversion and the costs it entails.

Incorrect, you can transfer BOI EUR to BOI STG, but not vice versa.

• Advertisement
Advertisement