Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting on a Sight onto a Recurve for the first time.

Options
  • 27-09-2011 9:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭

Mornin,

I bought a starter bow kit last week that came with all the basic beginner
    gear. Managed to figure out how to put it together with bow stringer
    etc the one thing that has me puzzled is the sight.

I've put it on the bow but I am clueless when it comes to adjusting the Pin
    location to give it a rough idea of where it should be.

ie after you've installed it positioning the Pin/sight/reticle in the rough location it should be in, before you start shooting arrows at a target.

How does one Zero a bow sight? Say for 10m I was not sure where to align the pin. eye height, left of arrow tip, right of arrow tip, above or below.

~B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭thegrayson

Have a read of this, step 7 is what you are looking for, after that to "zero" the sight you move the sight pin to follow the arrow. If the arrow is landing high move the pin up, if its landing left move the pin left and vica versa for down and right. At 10m you should get away with sight marking of between 1 or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Cheers for that, only learning at the moment about the bits n bobs
    I thought there may have been a defualt position to put the sight onto
    before fireing anything.

~B

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

By the sounds of things you need some instruction- sorry if I've read the post incorrectly. You'll go further, faster with help than trying on your own. Easier to learn it right once than relearn at a later stage while trying to oust bad habits.

This link should take you to a free downloadable manual with a lot of the basic info you need.

For clubs to get training and join try here and here.

FITA (IAAA) do both olympic style target archery and field archery. IFAF are predominantly field archery with some indoor target archery.

Instruction will cover the safety aspects as well as how to shoot. It's important that the practice of archery is done carefully to avoid giving the opportunity for over-reactive, restrictive legislation.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Thanks for that. A good bit of reading with loads of handy info.
    I joined the UL archery society a 2-3 weeks back so hopefully will learn a good bit from the folks there.

Wanted to get my own equipment instead of using club equipment
    (Last week was firing arrows some of which had missing vanes :eek:) so
    on impulse bought a Hoyt Horizon starter Bow Kit all though maybe I could
    have started with a lighter limb weight. I bought 30lb limbs thinking it was a nice in-between figure between too light and too heavy for starting out.
    (After a few draws of the bow I felt it in my muscles the next day)

~B

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

The Horizon should be a nice riser. Check out Alternative Sporting Services as they will have some cheaper limbs available. If money isn't too tight you could buy another lighter pair and work up to the 30# limbs. Then sell on the lighter pair to help fund the next step. The other thing to do is to keep an eye on Ebay, or similar, for second hand limbs.
    Alt have Striker Eco limbs for €55, or Seb. Flute Axiom limbs for €60.

Alt>Recurve>Entry level.

Remember you pull a bow predominantly with your back muscles and not your arm muscles. Remember to relax your forearm muscles before you draw- use them just enough to maintain your hook. Your back muscles once 'tuned' will pull heavier weights better than arm muscles. A Formaster, or cheaper clone, will help you build up the correct muscles.

It's great to have your own kit as a bow does need to be tuned to you, and arrows need to be tuned to it. It will show in the results.

Good luck with your new sport. You should get good help down there.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
Advertisement