Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRA person county Clare

Options
  • 26-09-2011 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

Hi does anyone here know where I can get information on a member of the IRA during the war of Independence in county Clare. The person in Question is Paddy Con McMahon of the Mid-Clare Brigade, I found a small story on him in Padraig O'Ruairc's book Blood on the Banner but besides that I know very little of the individuals involvement in the IRA. If anyone knows a good way I can get information please let me know or if anyone here knows anything more about the person that to would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

His publisher is Mercier Press so you might try them and they have him listed as doing a Phd in UL on the Anglo Irish Truce

Merciers details are
    Phone: 021 4614700

Email: info@mercierpress.ie
    Óg Ó Ruairc, Pádraig

Pádraig Óg Ó Ruairc is originally from Co. Clare but now lives in Cork. He works seasonally for the Irish Heritage Service at Fort Charles in Kinsale and is currently researching the Anglo-Irish Truce for a PhD in the University of Limerick. He is the administrator for the website www.warofindependence.net a resource page dedicated to making public new research about the War of Independence in Clare and Galway

http://www.mercierpress.ie/padraigogoruairc

He gave a public lecture in Cork during the summer

http://www.mercierpress.ie/?page=static_pages/index&p_url=news&nid=69

• Registered Users Posts: 8 begorrah2

Hello there, I knew this person very well . He died in 1964, given an IRA military funeral. Can you remember what you read about him in the book? good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

Padraig frequents the Irish Volunteers page on Facebook. Worth posting a query there re this chap.

JD - thanks for suggestion but I'm not into facebook (or anything else for that matter) - I've ordered a copy of the book from Amazon - all the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

You could browse the 'Witness Statements' on the BMH site and look for those made by others in the Mid-Clare Brigade. Link to site here http://www.bureauofmilitaryhistory.ie/bmhsearch/browse.jsp

• Advertisement

Thanks for letting me know of this website -good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

quite a few of the Irish Volunteers Facebook group should be at the following event on Saturday (not sure if Padraig will be there)

http://irishvolunteers.org/2012/09/irish-war-of-independence-exhibition-display-dublin-october-272012/

alternatively, Padraig is one of the people who runs this website

http://www.warofindependence.info/

jd - kind of you to let me know of this event, however, having recently returned from Ireland it's abit too soon to return to Dublin ( Liam,my cat, doesn't like it when I go walk about) - have received Padraig's book and intend to visit Cathal Brugha barracks on next visit to Dublin - all the best

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Any info on a Joseph McMahon, 2nd Lieutenant 12th Infantry Battalion, Ennis, Co. Clare ?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

begorrah2 wrote: »
    Hello there, I knew this person very well . He died in 1964, given an IRA military funeral. Can you remember what you read about him in the book? good luck

Hi Thanks for the reply, I know I'm jumping back on this very late Ended up forgetting I had made this thread. the guy I was asking about is my Great Grand-Father, I got some more info on him off the Military records online but still doesn't give me much. If you know more it would be great if you could pm some more details.

Cheers.

• Advertisement

Hello L - not sure what you know about your GGF in the IRA - He fought in France during WW1, getting in some practice for the troubles ahead, took part in a number of actions some of which are recorded in "Blood on the Banner" all mainly in County Clare. 28th June 1922 the attack on the Four Courts he was trying to deliver weapons collected on route to Dublin but caught up in the siege of FC and was captured and imprisoned in Mountjoy - shared a cell with Liam Mellows - he was moved to Tintown Internment Camp and eventually released during December 1923 - kept himself occupied in Mountjoy assisting with an attempted escape and in Tintown went on a serious diet otherwise known as a hunger strike - your GGF and his brothers were all active in the IRA - He was a de Valera man through and through - RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

Hello L - not sure what you know about your GGF in the IRA - He fought in France during WW1, getting in some practice for the troubles ahead, took part in a number of actions some of which are recorded in "Blood on the Banner" all mainly in County Clare. 28th June 1922 the attack on the Four Courts he was trying to deliver weapons collected on route to Dublin but caught up in the siege of FC and was captured and imprisoned in Mountjoy - shared a cell with Liam Mellows - he was moved to Tintown Internment Camp and eventually released during December 1923 - kept himself occupied in Mountjoy assisting with an attempted escape and in Tintown went on a serious diet otherwise known as a hunger strike - your GGF and his brothers were all active in the IRA - He was a de Valera man through and through - RIP

Wow Cheers B for the info, I have asked a few members of my family such as my mother and none of them knew much about him. What you just told me really gives me a greater picture of who he is. Just to let you know I sent you a pm but not sure if you got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dogradaigh

I think he also built the hospital in Ennis.

He did indeed - he became one of the biggest building contractors in Clare - during his IRA days he was involved in one particular bank raid in which the Bishop was in the bank at the time - made to stand aside while the IRA conducted their cash withdrawal - the result of which Paddy Con (as he was known) never got a church contract for years - he eventually got a contract at St.Flannans - he never had any time for the clergy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 3diar0muid3

My father,P J McMahon also had a military funeral when he died 6March 1953.The firing party was lead by Paddy Con McMahon(no relation).P.J was also the Head Foreman in the building of the (New) County Hospital and Paddy Con was the contractor.
    If anyone has information about my father,P.j I would be grateful if they would contact me.Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dunelmgirl

lcrcboy wrote: »
    Hi Thanks for the reply, I know I'm jumping back on this very late Ended up forgetting I had made this thread. the guy I was asking about is my Great Grand-Father, I got some more info on him off the Military records online but still doesn't give me much. If you know more it would be great if you could pm some more details.

Cheers.

He was my Grandfather but I never met him. My mother was the daughter of him and Olive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 3diar0muid3

I do not have any further information.
    Regards

Advertisement