Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dota 2 open beta cancelled

Options
  • 26-09-2011 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭

Originally Valve were planning on rolling out a beta for Dota 2 for all soon and improving the game and adding more heroes until they finally had all the features from Dota Allstars (and more) in it and finally releasing it. That plan is now scrapped.

Instead they're just fixing up what the have and releasing it sooner and adding the missing heroes in as they go post-release.

Blog post here.
    Our original plan was to spend the next year or so in beta, adding new features and slowly growing the number of heroes until we reached a level of parity with Dota 1, at which point we’d release Dota 2 to the world. But the feedback we’re seeing everywhere is that people just want to play it, even though there’s still a ton of heroes yet to be implemented. We’ve also seen that the folks who are already in the beta are chomping at the bit to show everyone else some of the fun games they’ve had. So we decided our original plan was dumb.

Welcome to the new plan: We’re going to take the current version of Dota 2, which has The International set of heroes, and get it out there as fast as we can. We’ve still got some work to do in a couple of areas, so we’ll be keeping it invite-only for a (hopefully short) period of time. But there’ll be no restrictions on what players can do with it – they can release screenshots, make movies, shoutcast matches, write guides, publicly make fun of our HUD, or anything else their hearts desire. While they do that, we’ll be shipping regular updates with more heroes, new features we’ve been working on, and improvements on the existing content as we get more and more feedback.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I wonder if this has anything to do with the recent leak. And i wonder will they start charging for these additional heroes that were planned on being included on release.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Kiith wrote: »
    I wonder if this has anything to do with the recent leak. And i wonder will they start charging for these additional heroes that were planned on being included on release.

If you actually have to BUY heroes, im not even gonna get the game.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Kiith wrote: »

I highly doubt it as Valve have a long history of releasing enhancements for games post release without charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Spunge wrote: »
    If you actually have to BUY heroes, im not even gonna get the game.

Probably be something close to the LoL setup, can buy all heroes with ingame earned currency or for cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

marco_polo wrote: »
    I highly doubt it as Valve have a long history of releasing enhancements for games post release without charge.

Team fortress 2 going free to play, i bet DOTA2 will have similar idea behind it.

they are looking at really competitive platform here, so i doubt they will try to charge for heroes, BUT they will deffenetly charge for hats skins etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement