Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Insurance with Pre-existing Condition

Options
  • 26-09-2011 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm hoping someone can help me.

Does anyone know if there is any way a person can obtain private health insurance with a pre-existing medical condition? I have MS, everything has been fine thus far but obviously any insurance company would be unlikely to take the risk of insuring someone with a proven long term illness, regardless of how well they currently are.

I could lie through my teeth, but I'm far too pretty to go to prison for insurance fraud ;)

I found out today that I may need it for next year so thought I'd ask so does anybody know??? Or am I completely screwed...:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

As far as I understand it, you can with the VHI anyway, get insured but they just won't entertain claims for anything relatd to your pre-existing condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

You can still purchase health insurance with a pre existing condition and pay the same rate as everyone else. What would apply when you join is a waiting period for any pre existing conditions. The length of the waiting period is dependent on your age, but is 5 years minimum up to 10 years. So any hospital treatment related to your condition wouldn't be covered.

There isn't any way around that waiting period unfortunately. The insurers only waive the pre existing waiting period for very large corporate paid schemes, where the age profile is young and the chances of paying for a pre existing condition are minimal anyway.

That said, depending on who you join, you may not have a waiting period on any out-patient visits for your condition. So visits to the doctors, etc might be covered. Check that out with your insurer, because some apply a waiting period and some don't, depending on your age. Even if they do, it's a maximum of 2 years, so it's not nearly as long as the waiting period for hospital cover.

One other thing. As strange as it may sound, you're not obliged to declare a condition when you join. It helps if you mention it so you can find out what kind of cover you can get for it, but the determination of a pre existing condition is mainly based on the information a doctor gives on your claim form. That's why I would also recommend checking cover with your doctor AND your insurer before you're admitted to hospital for any kind of treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

their is no underwriting to health insurance no company can refuse to cover you.

if you get a policy for the first time, you will have a 26 waiting period before you can claim for NEW conditions. with regards your MS and any other pre existing conditions you will have a 5 year waiting period. once you are insured for 5 years you will have full cover for your MS. thyself assumed you're under 60, if you are over 60 the waiting period is 7 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

Go live with or marry someone on a group scheme that has all waiting periods waived.

Advertisement