Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Credit Card to Build Credit History?

Options
  • 26-09-2011 9:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

My girlfriend was saying over the weekend that she wants to build a credit history. She was thinking of taking out a loan to do this. I think this is a bit mad as she wouldn't need the money and it would cost her the interest.

Instead I suggested getting a credit card. Wouldn't prompt payment of CC bills help build a rating in the same way?

I know some people here are against CCs but she is genuinely very sensible and I couldn't see her getting into any hassle with them.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Pablo1802

Hi guys,

My girlfriend was saying over the weekend that she wants to build a credit history. She was thinking of taking out a loan to do this. I think this is a bit mad as she wouldn't need the money and it would cost her the interest.

Instead I suggested getting a credit card. Wouldn't prompt payment of CC bills help build a rating in the same way?

I know some people here are against CCs but she is genuinely very sensible and I couldn't see her getting into any hassle with them.

Thanks.

MBNA and Tesco send monthly statements to ICB,
    but BOI and AiB send if you miss any payment or you are behind your credit limit, normally they dont send if you're Ok with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Hi guys,

My girlfriend was saying over the weekend that she wants to build a credit history.

Why does she need to build a credit history? I used to work in credit scoring and there isn't a huge benefit having a good credit history vs no history.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

This type of credit history building is good in the states. But not in Ireland.

Forget the loan. Forget the cc.

Just start and stick to good old fashioned saving. (and lots of it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Thanks for the input, wasn't exactly sure how they checked your credit worthiness here in Ireland.

She does regularly save so that's a good thing. I'll tell her to keep up the good luck! :D

Advertisement