Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higginson wins PTC 5

Options
  • 25-09-2011 10:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭

Andrew Higginson tonight won the fifth PTC event of the season beating world champion John Higgins 4-1 in the final.
    It's his maiden ranking title albeit not a major it still carries rankng points and a nice first prize of £10,000

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Im pleased he won, he writes a diary or sorts on the worldsnooker website and comes across as a nice guy. Puts him on the board with a chance to break into the top 16.

I get the feeling PTC events are catching on more and being accepted a little better now compared to last seasons PTC or even early this season when there were a few attendance issues. Zack01 is this generally the view of the players/insiders that you have spoken too?.
    It seems to suit the fringe players slightly more because it gives them a clear crack of the whip and more table time and for some of the top players maybe not so much as it only keeps them honest!. Also just wondering is Barry hearn or his son attending some these PTC's?.

The only place where it falls down a little for want of a better word is betting. With the dynamic of the rolling match starts at undetermined times bar the morning or afternoon designated starts bookies cant price up matches and punters cant get on and watch their horse!. This cant be underestimated because if you want the public to get right behind it you have to give them a chance to have a punt like in every other sport. The rolling starts suit the audience at the venue and most players because its all happening but generally for the wider audience if sports fans cant have a bet because bookies havent got times/info quick enough to price matches up then there is never going to be quite the same interest in it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

I get the feeling PTC events are catching on more and being accepted a little better now compared to last seasons PTC or even early this season when there were a few attendance issues. Zack01 is this generally the view of the players/insiders that you have spoken too?.
    It seems to suit the fringe players slightly more because it gives them a clear crack of the whip and more table time and for some of the top players maybe not so much as it only keeps them honest!. Also just wondering is Barry hearn or his son attending some these PTC's?.

The only place where it falls down a little for want of a better word is betting. With the dynamic of the rolling match starts at undetermined times bar the morning or afternoon designated starts bookies cant price up matches and punters cant get on and watch their horse!. This cant be underestimated because if you want the public to get right behind it you have to give them a chance to have a punt like in every other sport. The rolling starts suit the
    audience at the venue and most players because its all happening but generally for the wider audience if sports fans cant have a bet because bookies havent got times/info quick enough to price matches up then there is never going to be quite the same interest in it.

To be honest the majority of the players have embraced the PTC format, and as you said with ranking points on offer it keeps the rankings honest.What I mean by that is Mark Selby is the current no 1 and is there because he has been the best player overall, whereas O'Sullivan a class act as he may be is down to 14th place.
    The most recent winner on tour Andrew Higginson is now on the verge of a top 16 place, he may not have won anything before but he is one of the more consistent performers.
    On the other hand Hendry is now out of the top 16, simply due to the fact he has not gained many ranking points in the last two seasons whereas the players behind him have performed and overtaken him.
    I think the new points system is long overdue and a correct way of ranking players, before if you won an event you were almost guaranteed a top eight place for three to four years, hence the same players were always featuring in invitation events etc.

From what I hear the PTC's are going to have an overhaul for next season, the academy in Sheffied will only host two events whereas the southwest academy will hold the majority of the British based PTC's, this is mainly due to the set up in the southwest academy, it has more tables, more room to accommodate the players and a first class media centre which brings me to your point re betting, I have it on good authority that two betting firms will start to provide on line betting services for the PTC's next season.

Barry Hearn himself hasn't made it to any of the events this season although with tournament director Mike Ganley at the helm there really isn't a need.

Overall it's a great time to be a player, there is no shortage of events these days, only a day after his defeat in last weekends PTC Nigel Bond was en route to Moscow to play in a eightman event. And after both their defeats Ken Doherty and Jimmy White were flying to China to play in another invitational event.

Great to hear. Out of interest how did Nigel bond do if you know?. really like Bond i think his mind and temprement is his biggest assets. Also news Ken and Jimmy!?. Any interesting tidbits about these events?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

I've no idea how Bond did in Moscow, like yourself I like Bond, he's a good player, was probably better as an amateur, in the twilight of his career now although his surprise win in the Snooker shootout has given him extra impetus this season.
    I was speaking to Ken before he left for China, it's more a promotional trip for himself and Jimmy White playing exhibitions for three nights over there.
    He's back this weekend as Monday sees the launch of his biography.
    It will of course include lots we've heard of before but one or two new pieces will be entertaining, and as its written by reknowned snooker journalist Dave Hendon you can be sure of a good read.

• Advertisement

The-Ferginator1.jpg

Advertisement