Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mice in the Compost - Kill Them or Leave them Alone?

Options
  • 25-09-2011 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Im running my garden entirely as a wildlife garden. Totally overgrown and full of frogs, beetles etc. Are mice a healthy addition to a natural ecosystem or pests to be exterminated?

Ive seen a mouse in my compost bin, on a couple of occasions recently. Should I put down a trap in the compost bin or just leave it be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I'd leave him there.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭cscook

I've always left them. First time round I knew they were there - any time I opened the bin I could them. Moved house, new bin. Earlier this summer I was taking compost out from the bottom and a little mouse fell out. I'd rather they were there than in the shed, never mind the house, and I suppose it's nice and warm for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Im running my garden entirely as a wildlife garden. Totally overgrown and full of frogs, beetles etc. Are mice a healthy addition to a natural ecosystem or pests to be exterminated?

Ive seen a mouse in my compost bin, on a couple of occasions recently. Should I put down a trap in the compost bin or just leave it be?

Answer's already in your question imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

More than likely a Wood Mouse rather than a House Mouse. So, leave it alone and enjoy watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Ah leave the poor aul divil alone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

It depends where you raise the question ;)
    Here will side with the wildlife, if raised elsewhere such as gardening forum the opinion may differ :)

I agree with all the above :)
    And in my experience, if there are mice, there are no rats!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mothman wrote: »
    It depends where you raise the question ;)
    Here will side with the wildlife, if raised elsewhere such as gardening forum the opinion may differ :)

I agree with all the above :)
    And in my experience, if there are mice, there are no rats!

I agree with this post, and the bit in bold I go along with as well. An obvious wood mouse population is generally the sign of a low rat presence in that particular garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Kess73 wrote: »
    I agree with this post, and the bit in bold I go along with as well. An obvious wood mouse population is generally the sign of a low rat presence in that particular garden.

Really interesting that , I had always been told by my Grandmother that Rats and Mice were more or less ' hand in glove '.
    Another old wives tale I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

My old Granny always said "Where there's Mice there's no Rats".

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Rats catch, kill and eat mice.
    (Karli,P. 1956)
    see here
    http://www.ratbehavior.org/RatsMice.htm

• Advertisement
Advertisement