Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to run rear brake on fixie - cable routing question

Options
  • 25-09-2011 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Thinking of maybe using my fixie for a bit of training this winter. I'm getting drop bars for it first of all. I know I have a front brake and leg brakes which should be enough but I reckon if I train with others they would prefer I have 2 brakes.

First of all, there is a place to mount the rear brake bolt on my frame, but no cable stops to route a brake cable. What is the best solution? I've seen someone wrap an outer cable around the top tube, other's say to use cable ties and run full cable housing to the rear brake.

I've seen plenty of cable guides like these but they all seem to be just for brake disc hoses. Are there any equivalent cable stops that would work for me? Something like this?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSS-0PdUoAvivhJVDzAHEV5m1cxJ14h41ewhi8C_C7luGaD8ej5tXlD-WbW

Or is full housing the only option using cable ties, or these sort of clips?

4381030315_b630f7cd91_m.jpg

Any links to where to get them would be appreciated!

Also, on another note, I cannot determine if my stem has a bar diameter of 25.4mm , 25.8mm or 26.0mm which I didn't realise there were so many variations only for wikipedia:
    The ISO standard for the clamping area of a handlebar is 25.4 mm (1 inch), which is used on mountain bikes and many Japanese-made road handlebars. However, the Italian unofficial standard is 26.0 mm, which is the most common clamp size for road bars. There are also intermediate sizes such as 25.8 mm to try to achieve compatibility with either an ISO or Italian stem

The bars I am looking at are 26.0mm bar clamp diameter. Do you reckon I will be ok considering wikipedia also says:
    In practice, many modern stems with removable faceplates allow for slight differences in handlebar clamp diameter

Thanks in advance! Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

If it had flat bars on it the stem will be a 25.4mm clamp unless it's oversized 31.8mm but that would be fairly obvious, I'm not a fan of using different stems and bar diameters but some people do, there was a thread on here this week about some bars that failed so I would never take the chance on mix/matching!(not that it had any thing to do with those bars failing but why take the chance)

A complete cable to the rear break should be fine it might feel a tiny bit more spongy than if you had cable stops but it will still work.

The second pic you put up are of cable clips made by Dia compe, if you're ordering them just make sure you get the right tube diameter, I think they make three sizes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Full housing and Cable ties. Simplest and cheapest though probably not the best looking.

I'm currently running a 26mm bar with a 25.6 clamp. I made a shim out of a cut up can of Guinness (extra stout, not that draught muck). Keep meaning to order a new stem!

Planet-X currently have 26mm stems at a decent price.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,027 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If you're bothered by the extra "squidge" of full length housing, order "compressionless" brake housing like this:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/BSALLRC/alone-alon-ier-linear-cable

For the rear you could probably run gear housing. Sheldon didn't like it, but for a rear brake I'm not sure you'll ever exert enough force to pop it (I am not responsible for your subsequent death!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

studiorat wrote: »
    I made a shim out of a cut up can of Guinness (extra stout muck, not that lovely draught muck).
    FTFY. Seriously. Extra stout is good for cooking. Nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Greyspoke

As you're thinking of using it for training, I'm wondering what gearing you're planning on using - presumably something that will promote a fast cadence? Just curious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

Thanks guys! Will try full length housing and cable ties for the moment, might pick up some Dia Compe top tube clips if it seems ok.

Also, I've ordered the bars anyway so I'll see if the 26.0mm fits whatever size stem I have. With 3 bar clamp sizes within 0.6 of a milimeter it is difficult to determine which size it is without a vernier calipers or it being printed on the stem/bars. If not I'll pick up the appropriate stem.
    Greyspoke wrote: »
    As you're thinking of using it for training, I'm wondering what gearing you're planning on using - presumably something that will promote a fast cadence? Just curious.

Yes high cadence work, but pedaling technique too. I only commute on it at the moment in normal clothes and shoes in an upright position, so difficult to see what gear I will use using the drops and cycling gear because of the change in speed that will make.

I'm assuming something like 44x18 which @ 100 rpm equates to 31.6km/h. I currently have 44x16 on there which would be grand for training in a group (35.5km/h @ 100rpm).

Will see how it goes anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Lumen wrote: »
    If you're bothered by the extra "squidge" of full length housing, order "compressionless" brake housing like this:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/BSALLRC/alone-alon-ier-linear-cable

For the rear you could probably run gear housing. Sheldon didn't like it, but for a rear brake I'm not sure you'll ever exert enough force to pop it (I am not responsible for your subsequent death!).

Noooooooo......I tried that once in my younger days, it doesn't work for long.
    Crack, split, pop, BANG...that's how it goes.

Advertisement