Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

De-Ice PenTest CDs (Possible pentesting class)

Options
  • 25-09-2011 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

I recently picked up a great pentest book called "Professional Penetration Testing" and it's a decent enough read, but there is an excellent accompanying DVD with some live images on it. There are three of the so called 'De-Ice' CDs, and they can be downloaded here.

It's a forum and you'll need to sign up, but it's a great start for someone who wants to become a pentester and such.

There are 3 or 4 'Level 1' cds which are extremely difficult to a novice, but with some research, and learning some command line tools, it can be overcome.

There are usually some basic challenge in there, so you have to find the juicy information, and decrypt it if needed. All a bit of fun. :)

If people are interested in learning infosec/pentesting, I'd be willing to do a class of sorts. Of course, they can just use other forums instead, but anyone who'd be interested should follow the course together as a group, and help each other out.

Any ideas/recommendations/complaints??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I went through all of these a few months back. Good experience, mostly configuration flaws involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭obviousTroll

I like the fact that the flaws aren't so obvious. TBH I've seen real world systems less secure than the isos.

Glad you took a look, as they're a lot of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭slyph

If people are interested in learning infosec/pentesting, I'd be willing to do a class of sorts.

I'd be interested in something like this. What kind of ideas do you have for the class?

What level of experience do you expect people to have?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭obviousTroll

slyph wrote: »
    I'd be interested in something like this. What kind of ideas do you have for the class?

What level of experience do you expect people to have?

I'm not a pentest guru by any means, but I've been learning for the last 3 years different methods of penetration and privelige escalation. I don't want anyone to think that this is a 'haX0r' class or anything. Don't learn to hack, hack to learn.

Experience level: My personal preference would be for people that at the least have comfortable working knowledge of a linux command line environment. Even better if you have played around with Backtrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭slyph

Sounds good.

I meet the requirements alright. I will keep an eye on this thread and see what becomes of it, hopefully something will come of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement