Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Transport] National Development Plan 2011

Options
  • 25-09-2011 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

So, what will be in this new, slimline, carefully considered and measured NDP?

It's already been claimed in another thread that the Galway Bypass will make it in on a cost-benefit basis.

If that is the principal criterion, then I would also expect the M8/N25 Dunkettle Interchange scheme and the N28 Cork to Ringaskiddy scheme to make it, too.

I suspect that no long-distance road schemes will make it.

Thoughts on what will be in the new NDP?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

This is a hard call.

We definitely know that water metering will be included as part of it, no question about that. But will the broadband strategy from "New Era" and the programme for government make it in, that's what I'm curious to know. We've heard little about it, and since the last government did such an atrocious job with communications infrastructure, I'm hoping for a comprehensive plan to be presented in this area.

Transport wise, the cheapo stuff like cycle lanes will be talked up along with projects-that-should-have-happened-already™ such as integrated ticketing, or "leap" as I think it's now called. I would expect to see Newlands Cross make it, and I think IE will get some funding for carrying out preparatory work for electrification amongst other "smaller" schemes.

It's hard to know which, if any "big" projects will be included. The signs seem to be pointing to none at the moment. As you said no long distance road schemes are likely to feature and the growing consensus has been for a long period of time that MN, Dart Underground and perhaps even Luas BXD are all binned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

BluntGuy wrote: »
    But will the broadband strategy from "New Era" and the programme for government make it in, that's what I'm curious to know. We've heard little about it, and since the last government did such an atrocious job with communications infrastructure, I'm hoping for a comprehensive plan to be presented in this area.
    Broadband will probably not be present save as aspirational waffle.

No concrete proposals have emanated from the Pat Rabbitte + Telcos talking shop that was set up earlier this year as I understand it at this time.

The pre election plan was to ring fence a portion of the NPRF to invest in broadband ( along with the telcos) and was kyboshed by the EU 'troika' I heard.

In a nutshell, no money and no plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I wouldn't be surprised if, between them, FG and Labour decided to build a merry-go-round as their "transport" centre-piece for the forthcoming NDP.

Advertisement