Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Insurance law for UK cars.

Options
  • 24-09-2011 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi,
    I just saw an ad on UTV from the DVLA. It stated that all cars registered in the UK must be insured. Does anyone know how this will affect people with UK cars in ROI. I have a 26 year old car in storage and am concerned about the implications.:(

Thanks,

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

They're hardly going to come all the way to Ireland to do anything about it. It's nothing to worry about tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Sure if it is off the road should be no issue, once you can prove it. For you own piece of mind, I would put some insurance on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

mercdave66 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I just saw an ad on UTV from the DVLA. It stated that all cars registered in the UK must be insured. Does anyone know how this will affect people with UK cars in ROI. I have a 26 year old car in storage and am concerned about the implications.:(

Thanks,

Dave

Is it not a system where you have to inform the dvla that your car is off the road? and then your exempt?

Sure your car is Ireland different country wont apply

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

A - It won't affect you in any way as long as the car is not in the UK

B - In the UK cars not being used for a period of time must be SORN'd or declared 'off the road' and would then be exempt from this law. However there is pretty severe penalties if you are caught driving a SORN'd car in the UK.

Good system you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    A -

B - In the UK cars not being used for a period of time must be SORN'd or declared 'off the road' and would then be exempt from this law. However there is pretty sever penalties if you are caught driving a SORN'd car in the UK.

Good system you ask me.

Wont be long before we see a system like that here.

• Advertisement

dev100 wrote: »
    Wont be long before we see a system like that here.

Unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mercdave66

Going to wait 'til the car is 30 and then register her (please god). Just wondering if there will be any implications as the car is not registered to me in ROI. :rolleyes:

There must be thousands of people with cars in sheds and garages with UK reg plates??:confused:

Unfortunately.

Why? So you can declare your car of the road for 3 months and get away with taxing it even though it was in everyday use?

Just a guess now - could be completely wrong! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Alan b.

pretend you never saw it and dont worry.

the ad's are a little misleading as they say any car registered must be insured, but you can still, as has been the case for years, declare it sorn and not need insurance.

as for you not being the owner in the uk, wont matter, theres a good chance the original owner sent in the documents to say it was exported anyway. so its not going to be in the old owners name anyway.

Going to wait 'til the car is 30 and then register her (please god). Just wondering if there will be any implications as the car is not registered to me in ROI. :rolleyes:

There must be thousands of people with cars in sheds and garages with UK reg plates??:confused:

Presumably the reason you haven't registered it to date is to avoid VRT. Come 2015 this may not be as easy as you think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

A - It won't affect you in any way as long as the car is not in the UK

What's the difference where the car is?

If the car is still registered in UK, person who is a registered keeper will be responsible to insure it or declare it SORN.

They will check database against uninsured cars, and will be able to put penalties, without a need of seeing a car, or checking if it's in UK or abroad.

I agree that any car in use should be taxed and insured, my car is in storage and when I take it out on the road it will be road legal. The UK system is a good system and it would be no harm to follow suit.
    I have had two incidents where an uninsured driver damaged my car and caused me serious grief trying to get payment for the damage....:mad:

Presumably the reason you haven't registered it to date is to avoid VRT. Come 2015 this may not be as easy as you think.
    What problems do you see in 2015. Can't afford the VRT now so it is my only option...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

I believe the add means cars on the road in the UK
    The NPRS will will pick up un-insured cars and the DVLA can impound and crush the cars. If the car is not in the UK then it won't be captured by the DVLA NPRS.

CiniO wrote: »

If the car is still registered in UK, person who is a registered keeper will be responsible to insure it or declare it SORN.

They will check database against uninsured cars, and will be able to put penalties, without a need of seeing a car, or checking if it's in UK or abroad.

Fair enough point but it's UK law not irish / EU law and I doubt they can prosecute someone in Ireland who owns a car still on UK plates.

stoneill wrote: »
    I believe the add means cars on the road in the UK
    The NPRS will will pick up un-insured cars and the DVLA can impound and crush the cars. If the car is not in the UK then it won't be captured by the DVLA NPRS.

But they car go through database regularly, and check which cars not declared as SORN has no insurance. And issue penalties for registered owners.
    All this without even leaving the office and seeing the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭barura

Woah, wait... Hold on a second!

Are you saying that any car that isn't declared off the road should be insured and subsequently taxed because it's in use? And if it isn't it should be declared as such?? :P

Though in seriousness, this is just putting the foot down on something that people are too lax to do. If your car isn't in use, it should be put into storage or taken off the road.

Fair enough point but it's UK law not irish / EU law and I doubt they can prosecute someone in Ireland who owns a car still on UK plates.

Of course they can't.

But if Paddy in his garden in Limerick had his brother's car on UK plates, which is registered on his brother's name who lives in UK, then brother can be prosecuted.

barura wrote: »
    Woah, wait... Hold on a second!

Are you saying that any car that isn't declared off the road should be insured and subsequently taxed because it's in use? And if it isn't it should be declared as such?? :P

Exactly.

Of course they can't.

But if Paddy in his garden in Limerick had his brother's car on UK plates, which is registered on his brother's name who lives in UK, then brother can be prosecuted.

But this clearly isn't the case here.

• Advertisement

What problems do you see in 2015. Can't afford the VRT now so it is my only option...

Any imported car is supposed to be VRT'd within a number of days although since the NCT crowd took over this has been extended to a few weeks. You can't just rock up with a car you've had for 5 years (be it off the road or not) and say 'well it's over 30 years old now so it's NCT exempt'. They will ask for receipts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Unfortunately.

You really agree with untaxed and uninsured cars being on the roads then?

...or mindless trolling?

Any imported car is supposed to be VRT'd within a number of days although since the NCT crowd took over this has been extended to a few weeks. You can't just rock up with a car you've had for 5 years (be it off the road or not) and say 'well it's over 30 years old now so it's NCT exempt'. They will ask for receipts.
    I appreciate what you are saying but funds or lack of funds have me between a rock and a hard place. A friend of mine registered a '08 520 BMW for less than the VRT people want for my old girl:(:(

si_guru wrote: »
    You really agree with untaxed and uninsured cars being on the roads then?

...or mindless trolling?

I'll answer this question from my point of view.

1. I don't give a damn if other cars are taxed or not, as this doesn't affect me in any way.

2. Considering current insurance regulations - where even if the owner insured a car, but still insurance might not be valid as it was someone else driving, or owner forgot to reveal some detail, or car was modified from manufactureres spec of which owner didn't know and didn't reveal it, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.... I don't give a damn about obligatory insurance, as there is too many variables which might invalidate it.

When they introduce law, which will make insurance companies to cover anything done by the car which was insured (no matter who and no matter how) - I will be very much for obligatory insurance checks for everyone.

Otherwise it doesn't really have sense, as even those checks, chance that I meet someone uninsured on the road are big.

I appreciate what you are saying but funds or lack of funds have me between a rock and a hard place. A friend of mine registered a '08 520 BMW for less than the VRT people want for my old girl:(:(

VRT Calc says €5197 for a boggo spec '08 520d - what have you got!?! :eek::eek::eek:

The whole insurance thing is a minefield. The insurance companies will do anything to get out of paying a claim....

The whole insurance thing is a minefield. The insurance companies will do anything to get out of paying a claim....

That's why there should be the law forcing them to pay out the claim.

VRT Calc says €5197 for a boggo spec '08 520d - what have you got!?! :eek::eek::eek:
    The guy I know registered an M spec 520d (08) for 3200ish. I have an '86 3 door Sierra Cosworth. VRT is calculated at the highest rate.:(. You won't find the figure on for the Sierra on the VRT calculator. Went through the process and they quoted me over 3 grand.....:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

You can't just rock up with a car you've had for 5 years (be it off the road or not) and say 'well it's over 30 years old now so it's NCT exempt'. They will ask for receipts.

they wont ask for any receipt of date of purchase, they will only be interested in the relevant paper work on the day, the car doesnt even have to be registered to you, just so long as you have the log book, and hence permanently exported from the uk................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Assuming the person who sold it covered himself, he will have sent off the last section of the V5 and DVLA have it down as permenantly exported. So it's most likely gone from the country as far as they are concerned.

Advertisement