Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unidentified Bird

Options
  • 24-09-2011 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

No i havent discovered a new bird, i just want to know what this one is. Their are 3 of them constantly around my area, and today i was lucky enough to have the long lens out when they flew by. The quality isnt great, i've done my best to make them clear as possible, i had to zoom and crop to get a clear picture. If anyone knows what these are it'd be much appreciated. Their call is odd and very distinctive.
    6178572378_8f01dee7bb_b.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭thebishop

Buzzard.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Yeah, a buzzard (genus Buteo). Wouldn´t know the species since I'm not from Ireland mwaha but it looks a lot like our red-tailed hawks so Im thinking close relative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

nature and birdwatching thread

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

Buteo buteo, common buzzard. I saw one on Bull Island yesterday, they're great looking animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 paddybongo

Were did you see this bird

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭flids.utd

Theres about 4-6 of them buzzards soaring around Ashbourne the last 2 days, saw them yesterday by chance and heard thier calls as i was keeping an eye out for them today, 5-6 yesterday and 3 today.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Edg3

I'd rather not say where I seen them, been warned about people who might hunt them. Sorry for the delay in replying, been ages since i was on baords.

Update on this.
    Today on my way home I seen one glide down in front of the car and land on the bank next to the road. We slowed down because we seen it lying on the bank, wings out, looking as if it'd been injured, we reversed and looked in, it was moving about awkwardly and we assumed it was injured, I was about to get out and have a look when it popped its head up and starred straight at us, not 10 foot away! It cocked its head spread its wings and took off, holding a huge rat in one talon! The rat was, and im not exaggerating, half the size of the buzzard! It was amazing to see. It was the first time i'd saw one as more then a silhouette in the sky and i have to say, it was beautiful!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭denismc

You can post sightings of these birds on www.goldeneagle.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

denismc wrote: »
    You can post sightings of these birds on www.goldeneagle.ie
    wouldn bother pposting em they're everywhere i see 3 breeding pairs every day when im out with my harris hawk
    lovely looking birds but their scavengers huge birds tiny feet not making them good hunters so mainly scavenge

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

wouldn bother pposting em they're everywhere i see 3 breeding pairs every day when im out with my harris hawk
    lovely looking birds but their scavengers huge birds tiny feet not making them good hunters so mainly scavenge
    There fairly lethal at hunting rabbits:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

Yeah I saw one rip a fairly big brown rat to shreds on Bull Island last week. I definitely wouldn't say they're bad hunters anyway.

aidoh wrote: »
    Yeah I saw one rip a fairly big brown rat to shreds on Bull Island last week. I definitely wouldn't say they're bad hunters anyway.
    Rats would be only thing they could hunt and not wi best success either
    They tend to stick to scavenging and not hunt their handy for cleaning up the dead had 2 followme on Saturday when out hunting aswell as pair of kites

talk about waking a dead thread, anyway, guess what showed up today, more of them! Well, all week actually we've been hearing them making noise, disturbed by the farmers cutting. Anyway, I spent ages yesterday out waiting for them to come close and I got lucky!

7748294008_f836ac1481_b.jpg

took ages of tracking them and waiting for them to get close enough but I finally got a great shot of them. Theres 4 of them now, one young at least.

Beautiful shot ya got there and that feather perfect
    They'll hang round the fields hoping that the farmers cuttin will flush a rat or rabbit into the open or even if the farmers cut a rabbit while they are cuttin they will eat the remains
    Great photo
    Atb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

send that pic to the papers - one of em would take it surely it's cool

Advertisement