Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting netopia into bridge mode with WRTG router

Options
  • 24-09-2011 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭

Hey folks,

I've seen similar threads here via searching, but none specifically address the problem I have. Looks like others didn't get stuck where I have, and nothing in them helps me.

I have an eircom netopia router (2247 I believe), and a Linksys wrtg which I've flashed with dd-wrt. With the current setup, the netopia has a default configuration, with the wrtg WAN port connected to LAN1 on the netopia.

The WAN configuration of the wrtg can be either set to auto-dhcp (everything is then double natted thru the netopia and again thru the wrtg, bit clumsy), or configured to connect via PPPoE with the same details as the netopia, which works out much the way I want things.

What I would like to do is set the netopia to bridged, and tidy the network up a bit. The problem I have is that when I set the netopia to bridged, the wrtg won't connect anymore. As soon as I reset the netopia to a default configuration, the wrtg connects again via PPPoE and works fine, although then both routers are establishing a connection each with its own WAN IP (which I didn't think I could do)

The settings in the netopia that I'm trying (firewall off):

VPI: 8
    VCI: 35
    Protocol: RFC-1483 Bridged Ethernet LLC/SNAP
    Bridging: Enabled
    Autosensing pppoe/dhcp ticked
    UPnP ticked
    IPSec passthrough ticked

At this stage, I'm a bit tired of resetting the netopia constantly after a failed attempt and a bit like Y U NO WORK? I guess I could just turn the wireless off, disable dhcp, nat etc on the netopia, and leave it as is, but it's sorta bothering me that I can't sort it with bridging.

Any ideas appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

Try setting it into RFC1483 bridging mode [I think the netopia supports it] and then put the eircom authentication details [eircom@eircom.net & broadband1] on the WRT router so it's handling authentication & the netopia is literally just translating the ADSl to Ethernet

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Jaeger

Cheers John, I was trying that, but anyway, after all that typing, I loaded different firmware onto the netopia, the latest version available on the eircom/netopia site which, funnily enough, is a lower number than the firmware version that was loaded onto the device over three years ago. I tried the same configuration options, and as soon as the netopia restarted, the wrtg connected straight away without any change to the config.

TL;DR version: Resolved by firmware "update".

Hope this helps someone else in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Thomasofmel

I am in process trying to bridge Netopia to use as a modem linked to Linksys wrtg router to improve WiFi in and around my home - will try your way and see how I am getting on ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Make sure both are not in the same subnet, Netopia will be 192.168.1.254, change the wrt to 192.168.2.1

If you go into Expert Mode on the Netopia Page(http://192.168.1.254/) and select Connection there is an option to enable/disable bridging.

Advertisement