Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hendry out of top 16

Options
  • 24-09-2011 10:50am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭

Seven times world champion Stephen Hendry who yesterday was beaten 4-3 by Anthony Hamilton in PTC 5 in Sheffield now finds himself outside of the top 16 for the first time since 1988.
    Hendry now must win PTC 6 in Poland next week to have any chance of forcing his way back into the top 16 otherwise with the first seeding cut off scheduled for Oct 3rd he will have to pre qualify for the UK Championships and the German Masters and more importantly will not be appearing at the Masters in January unless he receives a wild card invite.

Other top players have fallen out of the top 16 even the top 32 and made a remarkable recovery most recently Mark Williams achieved this and even regained the number one spot for a while but as i wrote in a previous post Hendry just does not seem to have the hunger any more, he long game is in pieces and all too often his concentration wavers during a frame which leads to a missed easy pot.
    Last season he showed flashes of genius most notably his 147 in the Welsh Open a match he incidently went on to lose 5-1.

Whatever happens Hendry is in my opinion the greatest snooker player ever to hold a cue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

I think he's a workaholic and a player that could have benefitted from a year away from the game sometime in the last 5 years to recharge the batteries. Its like hes banging his head against a wall for a while now. Reminds me of a punch drunk boxer that knows nothing more than the game. Its like its only the game that keeps them sane.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭oneillMan999

He looks more relaxed this year and im sure he will find some consistent form in the coming months and regarding the Masters, well it wont be the same without him and i cant think of a better wild card really, if there IS one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

hope he does get a wildcard for the masters, he said he'd continue playing and said he would play in all the PTCs which he didn't play in a lot of them last season. hope he does get back in the top 16

Advertisement