Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobbridge or emigrate?

Options
  • 24-09-2011 4:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

What do you reckon? Am I fooling myself thinking jobbridge is a reasonable option? Like 99.99% of people, daily living in this country is starting to become a hurdle. I really don't want to just sit on the dole with little improvement on my skills making tea or whatever. What do the resident and wise boards.ie curmudgeons think?

Stay or leave? 16 votes

Make Tea
    0% 0 votes
    GTFO
    100% 16 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

What do the curmudgeons think?
    'Fuck off' probably.
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheyKnowMyIP

Seems to me like the state has to foot the bill for these "internhips" while employers basically get free labour. http://slaves.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Depends on what you want to do with your life. I've read all the exploitatoin cases, but are there some worthwhile jobbridges out there or is the whole thing a sham?

If the former, try and find something you like. If the later, leave.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Get ahead of the wave and leave now, what are you qualified to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

You could actually go on jobbridge and check the internships yourself. I happen to know of someone who got a great internship from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I start my dream job as an intern through job bridge in a few weeks and to get the trainibg and experience I will get its worth doing It for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭jimdeans

some of them are just free labour, though. Look at this one. KPMG looking for an intern to look after their stationery, ffs :rolleyes:

http://www.irishjobs.ie/Jobs/Job-Bridge-Stationery-Administrator-6602307.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

jimdeans wrote: »
    some of them are just free labour, though. Look at this one. KPMG looking for an intern to look after their stationery, ffs :rolleyes:

http://www.irishjobs.ie/Jobs/Job-Bridge-Stationery-Administrator-6602307.aspx

You just dissed my dream job. I have had enough of minding the tea bags and was delighted to move up to stationery.:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

The reason for work is to pay for the things you need to survive and, if you make enough, the things you want. People are now being offered the work without the benefits. It's free labour for industry being paid by the public. It's diabolical.

Witchie wrote: »
    You just dissed my dream job. I have had enough of minding the tea bags and was delighted to move up to stationery.:-(

You follow your dreams, my friend, and don't let ANYONE tell you a KPMG stationery internship isn't good enough :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 compscii

Well im one of those "chumps" for doing this. I graduated with a higher diploma in computer science this year (1st class honours results), and was stuck looking around for about a month for a job. Found an internship advertised for a professional financial software company in their development department and took it. They have said they are 99% sure id have a job offered at some stage (could be 2months, could be 8).As well as that they have given me the opportunity to take the offical java developers exams which cost about 2 grand to take. So I dont really feel like a slave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Son, if you got no ties, GTFO. There's a whole world out there, I'm told.

The reason for work is to pay for the things you need to survive and, if you make enough, the things you want. People are now being offered the work without the benefits. It's free labour for industry being paid by the public. It's diabolical.

People are being offered the work with a small short-term pay increase, but with the potential of far greater long-term benefits. The whole point of jobbridge is to end the catch 22 situation of where the long-term unemployed can't get a job without experience, and they can't get experience without a job. It isn't perfect, but it's far better than leaving the unemployed to sit at home all day, or sending them on Fas courses to learn things that they may never have the opportunity to put into practice.

Also, there are plenty of people out there who got into their jobs by starting off in unpaid internships.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

compscii wrote: »
    They have said they are 99% sure id have a job offered at some stage (could be 2months, could be 8)

That 1% of doubt is worrying. People who say that they're 99% sure of anything are usually only 50-50 and are telling people what they want to hear so that they can gain something from them. I really hope I'm wrong though. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

What do you reckon? Am I fooling myself thinking jobbridge is a reasonable option? Like 99.99% of people, daily living in this country is starting to become a hurdle. I really don't want to just sit on the dole with little improvement on my skills making tea or whatever. What do the resident and wise boards.ie curmudgeons think?

Depending on your skill level eduaction etc? If its going to be a placement in a coffee shop working behind a till. Then its just free labour and of no advantage to you in the long run. Unless your are trained in something and want on the job experience then it would be benefical.

Mark200 wrote: »
    People are being offered the work with a small short-term pay increase, but with the potential of far greater long-term benefits. The whole point of jobbridge is to end the catch 22 situation of where the long-term unemployed can't get a job without experience, and they can't get experience without a job. It isn't perfect, but it's far better than leaving the unemployed to sit at home all day, or sending them on Fas courses to learn things that they may never have the opportunity to put into practice.

Also, there are plenty of people out there who got into their jobs by starting off in unpaid internships.

In a lot of cases, there seems to be a big imbalance though. Eg the employer gets a deli counter assisstant for 6 months, the taxpayer gets to pay an extra 1200 euro per person for this, but the person gets about a week of "training" and the rest is service provision.

I'm sure there's good internships out there. But a lot of them are really really shocking.

I have a good electronics diploma from a few years back. I suppose I could improve on that before leaving as an option. Not looking to milk the system though, my morals don't allow for abuse of a system that is intended to help those in need. The abuse that goes on ain't right.

tl;dr - Working as a slave or add myself to an already strained system seem like the only options. Did some interviews and got on fine but the old "4-5 years experience candidates snapped this **** up, mind the door on the way out". Not to mention grad jobs masquerading as jobs for folk with experience:rolleyes:

Anyway, appreciate the input folk.

Raekwon wrote: »
    That 1% of doubt is worrying. People who say that they're 99% sure of anything are usually only 50-50 and are telling people what they want to hear so that they can gain something from them. I really hope I'm wrong though. Good luck!

It's a worrying margin of doubt alright. I don't put blind faith into employers(though I am nice). Really, jobbridge is a bit of a disgrace when you consider the tesco thing a fews days ago. Employers are bleeding the state with these "internships". Cook the books to compensate :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 compscii

Raekwon wrote: »

Well yeah, they would be heartless to string me along like that (which of course could always be a factor) but looking at it in the long run I would have a way better chance of getting a another job anywhere I like with this experience. To sum it up im on peanuts but im climbing the ladder.

Sounds good in theory but the problem isn't that there aren't enough people with skills out there; it's that there aren't enough jobs on offer. If there aren't enough jobs, why is it incumbent upon the unemployed to do work for its own sake? Having people do a job with the possibility of using their new-found skills when the economy picks up in the future is blatantly dishonest: when the time comes, they'll be far behind the list of other people who already have the skills and far more experience to boot.

And if there's no point in sending them on a Fás course because they won't be able to use their skills, then what on Earth is the point in sending them to work at a private enterprise where learning new skills is supposed to be the main goal?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

thread title is nail on the head. The reason for jobs bridge is to make emigration the more attractive option. It's not feasible politically to have a forced emigration policy to keep costs down so they needed to label it as an internship programme. positive spin. The goal is the same though, give people out of work little option but to **** off to some other country.

Sounds good in theory but the problem isn't that there aren't enough people with skills out there; it's that there aren't enough jobs on offer. If there aren't enough jobs, why is it incumbent upon the unemployed to do work for its own sake? Having people do a job with the possibility of using their new-found skills when the economy picks up in the future is blatantly dishonest: when the time comes, they'll be far behind the list of other people who already have the skills and far more experience to boot.

And if there's no point in sending them on a Fás course because they won't be able to use their skills, then what on Earth is the point in sending them to work at a private enterprise where learning new skills is supposed to be the main goal?

Experience is a very different thing to education. Being able to put your knowledge into practice is pretty important...

And I don't understand the line where you said:

"when the time comes, they'll be far behind the list of other people who already have the skills and far more experience to boot. "

So from that, how do you come to the conclusion that giving people work experience isn't a good idea? They will be far higher up the list than if they had done nothing.

Anyway, I suggest you actually look at the internships instead of just reading about the ones that are mentioned on boards or in the media.

http://intern.jobbridge.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

ive 2 weeks left on my internship and its looking more and more likely ill be kept. jobridge has got a lot of stick and rightly so in some circumstances, but its not all bad.

10 weeks unpaid to have a start in a career with one of the biggest financial companies in the world.i failed my way through college, no experience or anything....its a lifeline for me.

Experience is a very different thing to education. Being able to put your knowledge into practice is pretty important...

And I don't understand the line where you said:

"when the time comes, they'll be far behind the list of other people who already have the skills and far more experience to boot. "

So from that, how do you come to the conclusion that giving people work experience isn't a good idea? They will be far higher up the list than if they had done nothing.

Anyway, I suggest you actually look at the internships instead of just reading about the ones that are mentioned on boards or in the media.

http://intern.jobbridge.ie/

You said this would help the long-term unemployed get jobs at some point in the future by providing them with skills. The fact is there are already people with these skills who also have lots of experience and yet are still unemployed. So best case scenario is we have even more people qualified to do jobs that aren't available.

And when did I say I believe work experience isn't a good idea? Work experience is a valuable thing, but not when you finish up your placement and remain idle again for an indeterminate length of time. Or perhaps we should just have people doing full-time jobs for an extra €50, getting more and more experience with little chance of an actual job for the foreseeable future.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

df1985 wrote: »
    ive 2 weeks left on my internship and its looking more and more likely ill be kept. jobridge has got a lot of stick and rightly so in some circumstances, but its not all bad.

10 weeks unpaid to have a start in a career with one of the biggest financial companies in the world.i failed my way through college, no experience or anything....its a lifeline for me.

10 weeks? Aren't most of them multi-month?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

df1985 wrote: »

it's kind of your own fault for that really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Hope to start my internship this week and can't wait. Just have to sort out the paperwork.

My current skills in publishing are really not being used anymore so it really was time for me to reskill by adding to the skills I already have.

I would not have got a paid job in the field of my internship because I don't have the practical experience, but I will afterwards.

To be honest, I am just looking forward to spending my day productively. I looked at a few different internships, but this is the one that offers me a chance to learn and benefit from.

Beats sitting around on my *rse all day feeling depressed about when I will enter the workforce again.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

If you pick a good internship where you will actually be trained to do the job the do that, because they might hire you after.

The word internship is being used so loosely on some things though, the Tesco one is a joke :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭GoGoGadget

Defo some good ones out there. You'll cop the bad ones a mile off!

I'm starting one on Monday in an area I'm very interested in and would otherwise be impossible to get into without experience.

I don't plan on emigrating until next summer (other commitments) so works out well. But if no joy at the end of the internship I'll be off and should have a bit of quality experience.

Find one you're interested in and give it a shot, if you don't like it you can leave and have lost nothing.

If you like it and/or need the experience it might help get your foot in the door where you're doing it or provide you with the experience for other jobs in Ireland or abroad if you do emigrate.

When an employer looks at a few candidates, those with relevant experience and good references are a safer bet than the unknown.

• Advertisement
Advertisement