Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stoats, Weasels and Polecats .....

Options
  • 24-09-2011 3:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭

How come we have stoats. Britain has stoats, weasels and polecats?

OK. Weasels legs are shorter, so they couldn't manage the dash. They don't venture half as far anyway.

But, what about the polecats? Longest legs of all and buggers for a hike.

Britains polecats are said ~ amongst other things ~ to have originated from the Steppe Polecat. And ye can take ye pick over who's said to have fetched them over. (Fitched? See what I just did there? ;))

Something to bounce around a bit ....?

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,174 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

There's quite a few animals Britan has that we don't, I'm not sure exactly of the reasons, probably mostly to do with the species not crossing the land bridge on time?

As far is I know the only creature we have that they don't is the Kerry Spotted Slug, which is only found in Kerry and the north-west of Spain :D

Aren't Stoats(Mustela erminea) the animals that are referred to as Weasels in Britain? Weasel being a general term for the genus Mustela?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Mickeroo wrote: »
    There's quite a few animals Britan has that we don't, I'm not sure exactly of the reasons, probably mostly to do with the species not crossing the land bridge on time?

As far is I know the only creature we have that they don't is the Kerry Spotted Slug, which is only found in Kerry and the north-west of Spain :D

Aren't Stoats(Mustela erminea) the animals that are referred to as Weasels in Britain? Weasel being a general term for the genus Mustela?

Would I be also right in thinking that we have a higher number or pine martins than they have?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,174 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Would I be also right in thinking that we have a higher number or pine martins than they have?

I think so, according to this site they're nearly extinct in England and Wales with a healthier population in Scotland but they are relatively common here. I've never been lucky enough to see one yet though.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I think so, according to this site they're nearly extinct in England and Wales with a healthier population in Scotland but they are relatively common here. I've never been lucky enough to see one yet though.:o

I only seen one in my life, i think their like the irish version of bigfoot in terms of being hard to spot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

Sorry I'm late, guys. Been in town all day.

Weasels and Stoats are different creatures. Though, yes; " Weasel " is a generic sort of term for Mustelids. One may refer to the group as 'Mustelidae' or 'The Weasel Tribe' and most people will get ye.

In US they call stoats 'weasels'. Don't know if they get weasels there. I suspect not. Of course, they get Fisher's. Fisher Marten or Cat, as they call them. Not to be messed with! :eek:

Pine Marten? Considered somewhat of a national treasure / tourist attraction in Scotland. Here, in Leitrim? I'm tripping over the things.

SteddyEddy; Come to Co. Leitrim. Don't look for Pine Martens. Just listen to the birds. Hear them kicking off something terrible? Blackbirds 'Pinking' and Tits 'Chipping'? Sit still and watch.

I find the birds will alert to a marten, even at fifty yards or so! Thus I've had them cross the track in front of me and dash along river banks, far away.

Had the cross hairs on one like that, once. Then he paused and showed me the cream patch on his chest! :D Whoops!

Interestingly; It's my own considered opinion ~ based purely on personal experience in the field ~ that the pine martens pretty much take over from the mink.

Pineys may not be perfect. But, I know which I'd rather have around.

Stoats? Seen One.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Off topic, but need to inform that there are many species here not found in Britain. I can think of one damselfly, one butterfly and at least 3 species of moth. My level of expertise does not stretch to other orders, but there are likely to be more.

Mothman wrote: »
    Off topic, but need to inform that there are many species here not found in Britain. I can think of one damselfly, one butterfly and at least 3 species of moth. My level of expertise does not stretch to other orders, but there are likely to be more.

that's news to me, good to know :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Maybe St. Patrick banished them too? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

Yeah but, Adam; Another thing that always wrecks my head is how he missed the Natterjack Toads.

Did they survive in the hulls of some later arriving boats, maybe?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Mothman wrote: »

The Greater White Toothed Shrew too I think?

• Advertisement
Advertisement