Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Douglas fir planting

Options
  • 23-09-2011 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hi everyone, I hope there are some horticultural people on here, I want to plant around 200 Douglas fir trees on my land. Mainly 250 metres on the boundary of a field and a separate patch as well. My question is what depth should the holes be for planting? Do they need fertiliser? And what spacing should they be planted at? I will not be cutting them down ever so I want them to grow out horizontally as much as possible and as tall and as healthy as possible. All advice greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭MOSSAD

Ok... first I assume the soil you are planting in is fertile and free draining, and that the site is not exposed. My observations over the years re trees is that 4mto 5m is the optimal spacing to allow for a good sized adult. You can plant at a wider spacing if you like. The depth should be from just above where stem and roots meet.
    Its important to keep an area around the trees grass-free either by mulching with chip or by spraying. I think with a complete grass kill growth rates of up to 66% more are achievable. With Douglas you might need to stake the trees. If the ground is fertile, don't bother fertilising.
    You may also have to guard against hares/rabbits and of course keep livestock out, even when the trees are big.
    Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭mjcom4d

Ho long does Douglas-fir take to mature

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭MOSSAD

mjcom4d wrote: »
    I think 35-40 years-the extra large ESB transmission poles are Douglas.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Hi OP,

Are there any douglas fir trees near you? The reason I ask is they don't grow well on high pH (limestone) soils. They do well in Wicklow on fertile soils derived from granite. I tried a few on high pH soils and they were a non-runner.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

mjcom4d wrote: »
    For commercial forestry purposes, the Forest Service talk about 50-60 years:
    http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/forestry/publications/DouglasFir_low.pdf

Left to their own devices, they're claimed to be able to hit 1000 years and beyond, and attain heights of over 100 meters and diameters approaching 6 meters.

A Douglas Fir in Powerscourt Demesne is allegedly the tallest tree in Ireland, at 55 meters. They reckon it was probably planted in 1865.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭cat320

Im going to go ahead and plant the douglas fir. Im going to leave ten feet between them. I will use ground phosphate at planting time as well. Whats the best time for planting? From november on? Many thanks for replying, some of the ground wouldnt be great. I cleared all scrub off and theres plenty soil, not topsoil. They would grow there fine i presume?

Advertisement