Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batch Edit Photo's in Finder

Options
  • 23-09-2011 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of an easy way to batch edit photo's directly in Finder?

I've just permanently switched from Windows and got a Macbook Pro and what i'd normally do is say copy all my photos from my camera into a new folder on windows. And let's just say they were birthday pics. And highlight them all, right click and press rename. I could then rename them say Birthday Pics and it would automatically add (1), (2), (3) etc. on the end of Birthday Pics. Can't seem to find how to do it on Mac. Any idea's?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

If you save and view your photos in iPhoto you can group photos in it according to topics or names, with the option to move photos in and out of the album/s as you wish. Although it doens't act to rename the photos it as good as marks them out in order which sounds like what you probably want; easily found photos. Make sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

If you save and view your photos in iPhoto you can group photos in it according to topics or names, with the option to move photos in and out of the album/s as you wish. Although it doens't act to rename the photos it as good as marks them out in order which sounds like what you probably want; easily found photos. Make sense?

No not really. Once i've taken photo's off my camera and dragged them into a new folder. They do be names photo 1, photo2, photo 3 etc. But to rename them like Birthday (1), Birthday (2), Birthday 3 I used to just highlight all the photo's and click rename. Then type Birthday into the space and press enter. It automatically adds a suffix of (1), (2), (3) to the end's of each photo. On mac it opens a box for each photo and you have to input them one by one. I've seen people recommending app's like Automater and iPhoto to rename them but i'd prefer to do it right in Finder.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

DubDJ wrote: »
    No not really. Once i've taken photo's off my camera and dragged them into a new folder. They do be names photo 1, photo2, photo 3 etc. But to rename them like Birthday (1), Birthday (2), Birthday 3 I used to just highlight all the photo's and click rename. Then type Birthday into the space and press enter. It automatically adds a suffix of (1), (2), (3) to the end's of each photo. On mac it opens a box for each photo and you have to input them one by one. I've seen people recommending app's like Automater and iPhoto to rename them but i'd prefer to do it right in Finder.

Got you now, you want them renamed for posterity.

Go into iPhoto and highlight the photos you wish to rename and on your toolbar, select Photo and then batch change. Select whatever option suits you for titling; say in your case Birthday so select "Text" and type in birthday, tick the append box and that should be that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Renamer for Mac will do what you want. 14 day trial before you have to pay for it though.

Another option is to use Automator which is part of OS X. It's quite powerful once you learn how to use it. Here's a video from Youtube that explains how.
    Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Thanks for the help lads. I was hoping for a way to do it directly in Finder though. Rather than using an app or program me for it. I've seen the Automater and iPhoto ways of doing it but was hoping for a native way directly through Finder. Thanks all the same :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

You can do it from the terminal for example:
    http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20010509130450691

Advertisement