Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing Hazzards...

Options
  • 23-09-2011 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

Having lunch at Clogherhead Pier today when this poor guy caught my attention. There seems to be 2 sets of fishing lures with 2 weights stuck into his back, second weight just out of shot to the right.

Every now and then he would try to take off and fly i think, but he couldnt. I kept an eye on him for as long as I could and I think he shuck them off, or they got ripped off as he was fishing and diving again..

img0938leh.jpg

Adding in this photo showing the drag of the weights..

img0937b.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Thats terrible - the vast majority of anglers are commited conservationists and engage in best practice, but the activities of a handfull of sloppy types kill large numbers of birds every year, often in a horrific way(I had to put down a young gull last year in a similiar sitution on the Blessington Lakes):(:mad:

PS: This bird obviously needs help, I would contact the likes of the ISPCA to see if anything can be done assuming the bird is still in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Birdnuts wrote: »
    PS: This bird obviously needs help, I would contact the likes of the ISPCA to see if anything can be done assuming the bird is still in the area

Already contacted them, thanks birdnuts, and yes, I totally agree with your comments about anglers, as I do a bit of beach fishing myself... This is probably a terrible accident..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

As with any outdoor activity there is always the risk of harm, the key is to minimise the harm done.

As an angler I'm still amazed there isn't line that disintegrates after a year. although this would add to the cost I know I would happily buy a premium to pay this cost. A couple of times the line has broken at the rod side meaning there is 100 ft of line with hooks in the other side somewhere in a fish, initially killing the fish but potentially killing anything else it comes into contact with for a long time. As a nature lover (the same with 90% of the anglers I know) it's horrible when that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Thats terrible - the vast majority of anglers are commited conservationists and engage in best practice, but the activities of a handfull of sloppy types kill large numbers of birds every year, often in a horrific way(I had to put down a young gull last year in a similiar sitution on the Blessington Lakes):(:mad:

Dont think who ever did it was ment too, quite easy to do when fishing with feathers and cormorants everywhere.
    These bird can be quite a pain taking fish you have hooked.
    I'am not saying tough sh1t to the bird, but it looks like a accident that happens. Seals often get hooks and feathers stuck aswel but rust out after a short while as most hooks are built to do so to minimise death to fish and other animals that get hooked and break free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I do a bit of snorkelling and I often see line and lures underwater near where people have been fishing. I reckon the hooks last years and even without them the line forms random loops like a snare. I've even got caught up in fishing line myself, hence I always carry a knife.
    It's plain enough that people have lost the lures accidentally in kelp and rocks. Anyone who has ever fished knows how easy it is to get your line snagged. So its not a matter of being irresponsible, as such.
    The only solution would be biodegradable line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

recedite wrote: »
    I do a bit of snorkelling and I often see line and lures underwater near where people have been fishing. I reckon the hooks last years and even without them the line forms random loops like a snare. I've even got caught up in fishing line myself, hence I always carry a knife.
    It's plain enough that people have lost the lures accidentally in kelp and rocks. Anyone who has ever fished knows how easy it is to get your line snagged. So its not a matter of being irresponsible, as such.
    The only solution would be biodegradable line.

The strength of line some people use IS irresponsible - I am talking about ultralight spinning outfits.

In a lot of cases 15 or 20lb line would be strong enough to pull the hook out of whatever it's stuck in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

LostCovey wrote: »
    In a lot of cases 15 or 20lb line would be strong enough to pull the hook out of whatever it's stuck in.

Not if the lead weight is wedged in a rock crevice, or 3 or 4 feathers are hooked onto kelp stems. Probably better to ensure that whatever line you are using, the weakest link is down at the lures. That way at least you won't be leaving 30 metres of nearly invisible tangled loose line underwater for the rest of infinity.

I wonder how many cormorants never make it back up to the surface? Only the ever hungry crabs will know the answer to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

recedite wrote: »
    . Probably better to ensure that whatever line you are using, the weakest link is down at the lures. That way at least you won't be leaving 30 metres of nearly invisible tangled loose line underwater for the rest of infinity..

The problem there is that most people who do the bit of mack bashing with the feathers are seasonal and not that into fishing, they get snagged up in a rock or what ever and instead of pulling the line tight as much as you can to snap the mono at the knot they take out a knife and cut the line the rod. Have seen it loads of times.
    The line should always break at the weakest part ie the knot above the trace or lure and reduce the amount of free line floating around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

A friend of mine who coarse fishes a lot in the midlands often hooks young tufted ducks:eek: He's always managed to gently unhook them and release them. He says they go for the bait maggots.

I once had to dispatch a gannet that had swallowed most of a trace:(

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

The hooks wouldn't last that long in seawater, they are often rusting after one fishing trip. The problem is the line it won't rot away. I hate to lose a rig as I know its left floating in the water and hate to think of anything getting caught up in it. I know some of the fishermen go, when the tide is out, and gather any rigs caught in weed, rocks etc. I too always gather up any line I come across and put it in my tackle box and get rid of it when I get home. Its such a shame to see the bird in above pic...

the plastic piece that hold a six pack of cans together are terrible too for getting caught in birds claws, they can lose a leg with them, saw a coastal bird just two months ago managing with just one leg.

gather your rubbish people pleeez;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement