Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cultural differences between North and South

Options
  • 23-09-2011 12:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hi guys, new to boards.

I'm thinking of doing a geography project on the cultural differences between The North (both sides of the religious divide) and The South. I'd be interested to hear people’s impressions and ideas on cultural identity, what it means to be 'Irish', 'Northern Irish', 'British' etc. Once you go past flags and religion is there even a difference?

Cheers!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

No not really but you could say that with Canadians and Americans so it means nothing... Anyway the major one is the accent your accent is very different to ours you'd pronounce all the vowels differently to us like three is tree to yous and three is threee to us other words like food are fewd to us and fad for yous or something idk the letters are the most difference never heard a southern Irish person say Aitch before and your r is oar or something ours is arr... The tones of the accent is very soft ours is way more rougher especially up here on the north coast we also use words that yous don't have like NAW aye and wee etc... The other differences would be attitude we are very nosy yous aren't we are conservative and quite strict.. Etc etc so basically attitude humour and accents

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

I think were more outgoing too... Oh and the nationality thing most people I know consider themselves northern Irish me included most people don't see themselves as British because that's false and i don't feel like a British person personally I think British people is another meaning for English people and I'm not English so I'll not say im British ,I am however a British citizen... We don't really class ourselves as Irish because there's enough differences not be Irish personally for me I don't feel the sane as yous I mean when I go down south even donegal it feels like a different country the whole attitude is different you seems to be more rural or something idk hoe to describe it just feels different... The accents way different too idk what it is I just don't feel Irish so northern Irish suits me... There's an English girl and an Irish boy in my class and I can relate more to the English girl than the Irish boy your whole system is different like religion school roads etc not the same his accent is hilarious he pronounces any like Annie LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 45,830 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Nothing to be gained with this thread. Going nowhere and fast.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement