Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[US] 6x01 - "Those Kinds of Things" [*SPOILERS WITHIN*]

Options
  • 23-09-2011 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭

Not officially due to air until October 2nd, but seeing as it's leaked online, some of you are bound to watch it.

I'll watch it this evening, will post my thoughts later. Very much looking forward to it.

What did you think of the season 6 premiere? 66 votes

Solid, gearing up to be another great season
    0%
    Pretty good, looking forward to more
    15%
    RoanmoreSinfoniaIvaBigWunlikeacodclaivaMr Velogrames_bondbeng128Wolflikemexalot 10 votes
    Meh, it was only ok
    60%
    StarkJohnKrain onSnake PliskenoprTerrorFirmertvnutzadoxalanc2003evil_seedMadPatrickThe GnomeAisling(",)missingtimeCacojcf[Deleted User]Im_No_SupermanFreudianSlippersapope8 40 votes
    Wasn't as good as season 1/2/3/4/whatever
    18%
    totoalChad ghostalJilm[Deleted User]Ron DMCAmtmannFearDarkMissLPaddyCarYitzhak RabinHerbSimpsonFishooks12 12 votes
    Awful, how is this show still on telly?
    6%
    jv2000jayteecorkMr FreezeJack Daniels I 4 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

I thought last season was rather weak and felt it might have been wise to end it on the high of Season 4.

I'll give it one more episode to prove me wrong but I'm really disappointed with this so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Dunno if I'm bothered watching this, never thought I'd say such a thing about Dexter a few years ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah, last year I'd have jumped all over a leaked dexter ep but now im not sure it's even worth the effort of downloading

although it might be worth the effort of posting about it on an internet forum, so maybe there's hope yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jack Daniels I

awful just awful.looks like there will be religous overtones to this season and thats me as good as out.its sad to see this once great show turn into this.i hope they put it out of its misery.i hoped the last season was a blip but this could be even worse

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Meh, it was only ok
    Good enough episode that has me interested in what'll happen next. I dont remember Batista and LaGuerta getting divorced though - is that something that happened last season or during the break?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

picking on Catholicism is too easy these days. I did not realise school reunions were such long running affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

JohnK wrote: »
    Good enough episode that has me interested in what'll happen next. I dont remember Batista and LaGuerta getting divorced though - is that something that happened last season or during the break?

During the break. Remember the end of S5 where they were all happy clappy having made up etc... obviously things went pear shaped after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

Watched episode 1 of season 6 last night (I won't give anything away).

I thought overall it was an excellent first episode of a season, a lot of things kicking off.

You can tell where it's going already as regards how Dexter forced ask himself questions about life/faith he's never had to before and that seems to tie in with the development of the series and other characters he faces.

Really enjoyed it. From what I've what I've seen I've high hopes for the rest of the series.

I think it has to do a lot more than last season if people are to stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Wolflikeme wrote: »
    Watched episode 1 of season 6 last night (I won't give anything away).
    Moved to 6x01 discussion thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

awful just awful.looks like there will be religous overtones to this season and thats me as good as out.its sad to see this once great show turn into this.i hope they put it out of its misery.i hoped the last season was a blip but this could be even worse

I'd give the writers more credit than that.
    Given the religious tone of the murder by Colin Hanks' character it
    ties in well...maybe too well.

I don't see it being a season all about faith and religion at all though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

As a lover of the books my hopes from the trailer has been found. This season will be good.

Episode was good, two deaths and how he caught those ambulance men was very good. However, surely he didn't use his own mobile phone. Same with the text he sent from Trisha's phone. Technology could get him somehow ?

What happened Maria Doyle Kennedy? I thought she was still the nanny at the end of Season 5? Or did they part company and I've forgotten?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

LOVED that episode - builds up for an excellent season! Colin Hanks and EJO are twisted as f*ck which I like, the humour was back in the episode (and Id assume for the rest of this season)

Dexter dancing to hammer time is one of the funniest things i have ever seen! (that and the BJ scene)

They are building well with a number of separate stories! Roll on the rest of season 6!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Meh, it was only ok
    Watched it and I enjoyed it. Nice rack on that Trish one too :)
    What happened Maria Doyle Kennedy? I thought she was still the nanny at the end of Season 5? Or did they part company and I've forgotten?

I really hoped that she would have had a sinister side last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Meh, it was only ok
    It was a good starter to this series I thought. Nice beginning with the overall bad guy and a decent victim of the week. Supporting characters were all fine apart from Quinn who didnt really get a look in.

Not a huge fan of Colin Hanks as an actor but we'll see how it pans out i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Meh, it was only ok
    I really enjoyed this episode in particular the reunion scenes.
    The Hammer time bit cracked me up since dexter who usually looks so self assured looked so lost and aqward

I'm also looking foreward to the religious element being brought into it,if its done right it could lead to a very interesting storyline.

I like'd LaGuerta(sp)'s
    blackmailing to get a promotion she has always seemed ruthless
    but I don't know weather to trust her an Angels non-relationship now.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

It was coming and Dexter now has offically jumped the shark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Going to keep an eye on these threads. I don't care about Dexter spoilers but if s6 gets some good reviews then I might just get around to s5

Mindkiller wrote: »
    Going to keep an eye on these threads. I don't care about Dexter spoilers but if s6 gets some good reviews then I might just get around to s5

Be no loss if you never see Season 5 either way tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

I like to maintain continuity. It would be weird to watch s6 without seeing the fallout of the s4 finale but if s6 is crap as well then I'll just drop the series altogether.

• Advertisement

Mindkiller wrote: »
    I like to maintain continuity. It would be weird to watch s6 without seeing the fallout of the s4 finale but if s6 is crap as well then I'll just drop the series altogether.

Just watch the first episode then. Honestly, I wasted half my Monday morning commute before last Christmas on it and that's time I can't get back. :pac:

I agree wholeheartedly. Season 5 was complete cack.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭JohnP199

Very good episode. Best since season 4. Dexter really seems to have gone right back to the Dark Passanger with those killings, especially using the hammer. As already pointed out some good comedy moments too. And the baby snakes was one of the most disturbing things I've seen on the show since it started.

One thing though. Has anyone notice how when Dex now talks to "Harry" the scene looks like reality. In the past the surrounding were brightly light to give it a more fantasy feel. Just wondering why they have changed from this!

And the bit with Deb at the end. What is people's opinions on that shoot-out? The guy with the camera phone recording Deb has me wondering is she going to become a hero/celeb for bringing down that gunman.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

Meh, it was only ok
    SDTimeout wrote: »
    Episode was good, two deaths and how he caught those ambulance men was very good. However, surely he didn't use his own mobile phone. Same with the text he sent from Trisha's phone. Technology could get him somehow ?

Presumably he just stole one or got a disposable one.

ETA: You're right about the text messages though. There is going to be a clear record of a text from Trish to the victim shortly before his death, and the police will find that and investigate it. Even if he deleted it from both phones, there would still be a record of it by the phone company, and deleting it would just flag it as more significant. Of course the Miami police in Dexter-world are highly incompetent most of the time. Only Dexter ever seems to be able to connect the dots.
    Minstrel27 wrote: »
    I really hoped that she would have had a sinister side last year.

I think she was a pure red herring. Introduced just to prove that not every new minor character they introduce is just there to be a serial killer or victim. Everyone was expecting there to be something more under the surface, but they defied expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

Any Links to where i cant watch 1st ep of season 6???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Dewey wrote: »
    Any Links to where i cant watch 1st ep of season 6???
    Banned for requesting download links. Assisting piracy is not allowed around these parts. Read the charter the next time.

See you in 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

I really liked the episode.
    After Season 2, Dexter became hit-and-miss for me, Season 3 was pretty much a miss, Season 4 was excellent (apart from a mid-season lull), and Season 5 was completely forgettable.

This season should shape up well, given this initial bit of exposition. I must have a look at who has been writing each season/episode, because the wit and trajectory seem to be back on par.
    I usually like religious themes thrown into the mix, although I'm slightly worried that the ideas of struggling with faith and of the seven deadly sins, the writing might be a bit imitative of Lost/Seven/other shows and movies.

I for one will be continuing to watch.

aLsO tHeRe WaS bEwBs!!!11!!11@!!!!@1#!!1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

It's fairly obvious that religion is going to play a key part. As someone mentioned, they linked Dexters introspective monologue with Colin Hanks lines too easily, so expect it to be key throughout. Plus, Dexter usually sets up the season arc very early rather than drip feed us stuff for a few weeks before anything starts.

Just get rid of Laguerta etc. Herself and Angel have been useless for as long as I can remember. I've never cared for anything they've done. Doakes was a great character in S1 & S2. Vince gets his filthy lines in but even they have become a little old (save his Gay Bondage Suicide Theory from last season), Debs is ok most of the time without being overly important and Quinn has become less and less interersting as time has gone on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I think this season has got potential. Dexter always works better when he has a rival etc. Also the first episode made great pains to show that Dexter is back to his old self so I dont expect him to get all religious or anything - it is more likely to be a comparison between Dexter with no beliefs and the religious killings and/or Harrison's new found religious teachings.

However, I hate the plot holes that Dexter just ignores - like the blood under the wife's nails matching that of her husband. Pretty crappy police work in Virginia if they missed that one. And if they did miss it, how come Dexter was able to match the Jock's blood with a sample?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Sooopie

I thought her character in series 5 would end up being some sort of evil freak

Advertisement