Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motor insurance claim 6 months later, too late??

Options
  • 22-09-2011 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

A wall jumped out to get me 6 months ago. It was a difficult time for me personally and I needed my car full time. I did not have the time or inclination to get the insurance claim sorted at the time. I would like to go about it now, claim and get my car fixed but dont know what the reaction of the insurance company would be for claiming so far after incident. Anyone do same or have similar experience???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

Was there no other car involved?

If not then it may be easier (but not morally correct) to say it happened yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

tupoftea wrote: »
    A wall jumped out to get me 6 months ago. It was a difficult time for me personally and I needed my car full time. I did not have the time or inclination to get the insurance claim sorted at the time. I would like to go about it now, claim and get my car fixed but dont know what the reaction of the insurance company would be for claiming so far after incident. Anyone do same or have similar experience???

Most insurance policies require you to notify claims promptly. Some might put a definite time limit on the notification requirement. Check your policy wording on this point. It should be in the "conditions".

Ring the insurers and notify the claim.

Say nothing about the delay unless they query it. There is no point in looking for trouble and they might not raise any point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

john_cappa wrote: »
    Was there no other car involved?

If not then it may be easier (but not morally correct) to say it happened yesterday.

That is very naughty advice as that would mean telling a lie. That is a seriously bad idea when dealing with insurance companies and can have long-tailed consequences if you are caught out....

• Registered Users Posts: 13 tupoftea

It was just me and the wall the wall came away unscathed:rolleyes:

Will sleep on it over the weekend (the advice not the car:D). Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Claims must be notified at an absolute maximum within I believe 30 days of the incident.You havnt a hope to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mrsbeebee

You should be ok. Ring them and explain the situation and they should be ok. Under Statute you have 6 years. Under your policy it generally says as soon as possible but most companies would be ok once you're upfront with them. And they would be able to tell if the damage is old.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

mrsbeebee wrote: »
    You should be ok. Ring them and explain the situation and they should be ok. Under Statute you have 6 years. Under your policy it generally says as soon as possible but most companies would be ok once you're upfront with them. And they would be able to tell if the damage is old.

Statute has nothing to do with this. Statute refers to legal proceedings being brought through the courts. This cannot be done if over 6 years. Some offences this does not apply to.

OP generally in your policy the time period in which you much notify claims of. Check it out with them but personally i would not be hopeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

Are you still with the same insurer, or did you change between today and the accident, using your NCB?

If so, your previous insurers MAY not deal with the claim due to delay in notification and you will have to tell your current insurers of the claim as well. That MAY mean your policy with them MAY be voided due to non disclosure at time of inception.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 tupoftea

Thank all for your comments/advice.

I am scuppered I think..........will just have to wait for scrappage in 2014!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement