Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking recommendations for a hardware fire wall

Options
  • 22-09-2011 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭

Have perused the site here and as I don't have an old pc to use something like IPCop I am wondering is buying a specific hardware firewall unit or a cheap new desktop and run IPCop or similar on a headless server?

As well as the additional security services that the hardware firewall will provide, I also need to be able to restrict access to specific websites from one of the pc's in the house.

I have a student here supposed to be doing all the study online from the pc but the logs show facebook You tube etc are in use big time.

I would welcome ideas on whether its better to block certain sites or only allow access to specific sites.
    On blocking you tube, is that possible as it can be accessed from within Gmail, which is used for bookmarking.

As the application is domestic both the internet router and the hardware firewall will be shut down each night, I know shutting down a headless server can be done via the web but how is it rebooted, ditto with a hardware firewall device?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

What isp are you with?

I believe Eircom has some features built in for blocking websites etc. You will need to make sure the ip addresses are blocked too. Then there is the option of using a proxy or vpn/ssl tunnel to bypass your blocks. It really depends how good your student is. Also keep in mind that if he/she has a smart phone that they can use this too.

There is also the option of just installing software on the computer to block the sites. I believe you can do this with child protection settings in windows 7 although you might want flexibility to have it blocked only at certain times etc. Maybe you should download and install K9 on the computer otherwise look at the router you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

UDP wrote: »
    What isp are you with?

I believe Eircom has some features built in for blocking websites etc. You will need to make sure the ip addresses are blocked too. Then there is the option of using a proxy or vpn/ssl tunnel to bypass your blocks. It really depends how good your student is. Also keep in mind that if he/she has a smart phone that they can use this too.

There is also the option of just installing software on the computer to block the sites. I believe you can do this with child protection settings in windows 7 although you might want flexibility to have it blocked only at certain times etc. Maybe you should download and install K9 on the computer otherwise look at the router you have.

Thanks.
    Am moving to UPC for vodafone hence looking at this now.

The student has a pc in the bedroom which is used for 'who knows' however the idea here is to provide another desk top in his study as he is in uni so loads of stuff is done online.

On the proxy/ tunnel issue if he wants to screw around fine, it is just to provide some barrier to distraction, as well as do a total block on stuff like Bit torrent which has been the source of a couple of serious virus's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Install DD-WRT Firmware on your router, that will allow you to block specific websites.
    Fairly easy and its free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Spaces

Opendns will allow filtering at a dns level. It may be the solution depending on how tech savvy the student is. It may have more options such as blocking IP ranges. I can't check mine at the minute but its worth considering.

As for booting a headless server. You could have wake on LAN enabled.

Advertisement