Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone any experience with the UCC atheist society?

Options
  • 22-09-2011 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭

I'm thinking about joining the UCC atheist society but I'm just wondering if anyone has joined before? Is it full of debate or just sitting around giving out about religion (the latter would not interest me)? I supppose I'll know at the meet and greet next Wednesday but I'd let to know what to expect.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

Never joined them, but a few years back they infiltrated the UCC Christian Union and elected themselves to all the key positions to protest UCC's (at the time) refusal to recognise an atheist society.

The genuine Christians were understandably fairly pissed :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

A few of the people involved post on the Atheist Ireland forum I believe so you can probably get more information there.

However rarely have I been in a society where people spend the whole time discussing the topic of that society. So I certainly doubt its all sitting around bashing religion. Most societies are just people who are like minded on an issue or two using that as an excuse to make new mates, go for beers, and maybe have the college finance some of the beering in the form of grants to the society :)

Had not heard that story above before though, I must read up on that one. Sounds comical.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Never joined them, but a few year's back they infiltrated the UCC Christian Union and elected themselves to all the key positions to protest UCC's (at the time) refusal to recognise an atheist society.
    Ha! :)

/wonders how come that story never showed up here before...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 HairyMcBoon

Never joined them, but a few years back they infiltrated the UCC Christian Union and elected themselves to all the key positions to protest UCC's (at the time) refusal to recognise an atheist society.

The genuine Christians were understandably fairly pissed :p

That's actually inaccurate. There has never been, in my memory anyway, an attempted infiltration of UCC CU.
    Maybe you're referring to the take over by two students, completely unrelated to Atheist Soc, of UCC Students For Life Society?

In my experience, since Atheist Soc were founded at the start of 2009, they've been nothing but great in terms of encouraging debate and the like on campus. They organise regular events and guest speakers and the committee are a great pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Well if the Skeptics Soc here, at NUI Galway, is anything to go by there'll be plenty of events to attend with lots of different things to do. This can be anything from a simply social gathering with your fellow academic skeptics (usually involving beer), having debates, showing screenings of associated documentaries and similar films (they had Religulous on once, that attempt at humour by Bill Maher), and also having in guest speakers in.

As far as I know, before my time here, they had the likes of PZ Myers, Dylan Evans, and a few others over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭b743k

Debates, guest lectures and social events is what I'm looking for from this really. They are organising some kind of protest against blasphemy laws in Ireland which would interest me too. I'll give them a go tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

b743k wrote: »
    Debates, guest lectures and social events is what I'm looking for from this really. They are organising some kind of protest against blasphemy laws in Ireland which would interest me too. I'll give them a go tomorrow.

I hope you came along to the event on Tuesday and enjoyed it. We were happy with the turnout and the atmosphere and for our first event of the year, it was a good start.

I'm Bryan, the Secretary of the society, by the way. I was possibly talking to you afterwards at some stage if you were there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭b743k

That's great, thanks Bryan. Unfortunately I didn't make it on the first night as I wasn't well but hope to join you soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Mcd2812

Out of interest, why does this society no longer exist? I'd planned on joining this year only to find out it was no longer in the list of societies.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,536 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

the young 'uns these days think religion has no impact on their lives. Sure they can even buy johnnies.

They'll find out much later when they start looking into school 'choices' and enrolment policies and baptismal certs...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
Advertisement