Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springboard BTEA

Options
  • 22-09-2011 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I am currently on job seekers allowance and was accepted for an online course via the springboard initiative. I filled out a BTEA form and my application was not successful.

Does this mean I won't still get the job seekers allowance if I continue the course? Do I have to quit the course to keep getting the job seekers allowance?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

numjaw wrote: »
    I am currently on job seekers allowance and was accepted for an online course via the springboard initiative. I filled out a BTEA form and my application was not successful.

Does this mean I won't still get the job seekers allowance if I continue the course? Do I have to quit the course to keep getting the job seekers allowance?

You need to take this up with your local sw office as it would be difficult to comment without going in a lot of detail on your case as to why you were not successful. You cannot take
    up a day time course and still get jobseekers allowance and you will no longer be a jobseeker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Get in touch with your local VEC, that is who deals with the grants and BTEA, it could be something simple such as leaving out a piece of information that they needed to process your application correctly. My friend is on the dole applied for the BTEA, today she got a phone call from someone in VEC and they told her that they had sent out a letter stating that she had been turned down, but afterwards they had found a misplaced letter that qualified her for it. So get in touch and ask them what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 numjaw

Thanks guys.

It's my understanding that the BTEA is there to cover if and when jobseekers allowance runs out.
    eastbono wrote: »
    You need to take this up with your local sw office as it would be difficult to comment without going in a lot of detail on your case as to why you were not successful. You cannot take
    up a day time course and still get jobseekers allowance and you will no longer be a jobseeker.

I did not get the BTEA as I already hold a postgrad qualification. Under the springboard initiative I am entitled to continue receiving jobseekers allowance as the course is part time and I will be actively seeking work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

Job seekers Allowance never runs out. Did you speak to anyone in the office about the course or did you just hand in the forms and hope for the best.

• Advertisement

donegal11 wrote: »
    Job seekers Allowance never runs out. Did you speak to anyone in the office about the course or did you just hand in the forms and hope for the best.

I just got them to sign the form needed by the college and handed them a completed BTEA form. I'm a bit confused as to why I'd have to complete a BTEA form if I was eligible to get jobseekers while doing a springboard course. The form I got the social to sign to send the college said I "should" complete the BTEA form and hand it in, so I did. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭who what when

My understanding is you are still elegible for JSA while you are doing your course.

Did you state it was a springboard course on the form?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Q - My Social Protection payment is due to change shortly from Jobseeker;s Benefit to Jobseeker's Allowance. If I take up a Springboard programme, will this change to my Social Protection payment still occur?

Participation on a Springboard course does not extend the duration that Jobseeker’s benefit will be paid. Participants must continue to satisfy the conditions of their payment.

I got accepted too, but I didn't fill out the BTEA form and nothing was said when I brought in the Springboard form to be signed in the SW office. Must go in tomorrow and quiz them, but in fairness they seemed fairly clueless about Springboard :(

donegal11 wrote: »
    Did you state it was a springboard course on the form?

There was no place on the form to state it.

• Advertisement

I got accepted too, but I didn't fill out the BTEA form and nothing was said when I brought in the Springboard form to be signed in the SW office. Must go in tomorrow and quiz them, but in fairness they seemed fairly clueless about Springboard :(

Agreed. When I was handing in the form the woman at the desk seemed very confused. Let me know how you get on tomorrow.

I get the feeling I'll get to keep the jobseekers benefit.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

There was no place on the form to state it.

If you didn't state it was a springboard course, your application would have been considered for BTEA. For BTEA the course needs to be full time, and you wouldn't be entitled to it as you already hold a postgrad.
    As they didn't know it was a springboard course, you need to call in to them and provide the documentation to show it is a springboard course you are doing, and everything will be ok then.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ajc100

Hi,

Did anyone on a springboard course get the BTEA?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Springboard and BTEA are separate - you shouldn't be put on BTEA for a springboard course as these are part time courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ajc100

That's my question?

It was indicated to me by the SW office that i would be put on to BTEA, but am not now.

There have been people on here indicating that they were\would be getting it.

So, my question is, to anyone on a springboard course, did you get the Back To Education Allowance?

what course are you doing? some courses on springboard are stated as part time but really aren't as you are registered as a full time student. Are you registered full time? and do you fill the conditions for BTEA?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Q - Is the Part-Time Education Option (PTEO) the same as Back to Education Allowance (BTEA)?
    No, the form for Part-Time Education Option and the Back to Education Allowance are the same, however the schemes have different requirements. BTEA applies to full-time education. In the case of Springboard, which is part-time and free to eligible participants, it doesn’t matter what previous qualifications have been completed by the candidate or what state support has been received. Participants on the PTEO do not receive any payment relating to the scheme.

http://www.bluebrick.ie/Springboard/Help_FAQ.aspx

Advertisement