Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Strange" text from AIB

Options
  • 22-09-2011 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

As far as I know banks do not text people and ask them to go online and update their details .Firstly I am not, and never have been an AIB customer .Anyone else get this text today ?

"Your access to AIB internet banking has been suspended because your AIB code card has expired. Please go to http://www.aibsafe.org to update your account"

Sounds like some group taking the chance that some people will put their details online.
    PS I never went to the site to investigate

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

SCAM... me and the missus just got 2 x SMS the same.

We bank with BOI - never been in an AIB!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,069 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I got that text two weeks ago. rang the bank, and ordered a new card. Maybe they had a wrong number ment for someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Identical to AIB's Internet Banking expecting it has an update from August while the genuine site has an update from September.

I'm a member of AIB but I never got the text. Very safe to say it is a scam.

EDIT * on the genuine website
    Beware of fraudulent text messages claiming to be from AIB.
    Remember AIB will never send a text in relation to your AIB Internet Banking. This is a fraudulent attempt to obtain your Internet Banking login details and 100 codes from your code card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Firefox blocks the site immediately......

tanoone wrote: »
    As far as I know banks do not text people and ask them to go online and update their details .Firstly I am not, and never have been an AIB customer .Anyone else get this text today ?

"Your access to AIB internet banking has been suspended because your AIB code card has expired. Please go to http://www.aibsafe.org to update your account"

Sounds like some group taking the chance that some people will put their details online.
    PS I never went to the site to investigate

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 DJL292

I got the text yesterday morning, but under a different link.

"Your access to AIB Internet Banking has been suspended because your AIB code card has expired. Please go to http://www.security-aib.org to update your account"

What Im worried about is where they got my number??? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

DJL292 wrote: »
    I got the text yesterday morning, but under a different link.

"Your access to AIB Internet Banking has been suspended because your AIB code card has expired. Please go to http://www.security-aib.org to update your account"

What Im worried about is where they got my number??? :(

They probably sent texts to 086 0000001 to 087 9999999 - using some kind of software program.. my guess anyway. Or ripped numbers off of DoneDeal?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 DJL292

Yes, that makes sense!

I probably shouldnt have done this, but I went on a library PC thats wiped after log off, and I clicked on the link.

Anyway, I just put "1" in every one of the boxes and it brought me to the next page.

Then it took me to a page where I was asked to enter all 100 numbers of my code card, so I put "1" into everyone of them aswell.

Then I had apparently updated my code card lol

:D

If it wasnt so obvious before, its an SCAM!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Same here got it this morning was half asleep thinking it was my bank lol

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭joeali101

Got one this morning as well except the link was to h t t p://secureaib.org

Interesting point about done deal si guru,I've been selling some bits and bobs on it lately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

My girlfriend got a similar text supposedly from Ulster Bank last week. She rang them up and they had not sent the text. They updated all her details over the phone to be on the safe side.

So it's not limited to just texts from AIB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Flat U Lance

Got that as well today. Strangely enough it just happens that I put gave google my mobile number yesterday as part of some security thing for gmail. No doubt this is where they got my number.

Might log in to aibsafe.org later and abuse the s@&t out of them:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

I got that text yesterday morning saying to go to www.aibsafe.org - knew it was odd because I haven't updated the details on my AIB account in about 5+ years (I don't use it) This morning I got another text from "AIB", exact same wording but with a different website link, www.aibsafe.COM instead of .org. I assume the other site got shut down on them. A whois search of aibsafe.com confirms it was only registered today (23/09/11)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Got that as well today. Strangely enough it just happens that I put gave google my mobile number yesterday as part of some security thing for gmail. No doubt this is where they got my number.
    Doubt it - Google are hardly likely to be handing out your phone number.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

Got my second one this morning - two different aib web addresses...you'd think the useless wretches at aib would text a/c holders to warn of the racket....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Unless you've a specific arrangement with your bank for text alerts, you should not get any.

Simple rules to keep you safe.

NEVER, give any personal information about bank accounts or credit/debit cards to someone who contacts you by any method - phone, text, email etc.

Several banks still phone people and start asking for details on legitimate calls, I just hang up on these people. The banks should know better at this stage.

If you get a message from your bank you should contact them on their phone banking number, log into your internet banking and see if there are any message / weird things going on or speak to the branch directly.

Basically, absolutely never ever give any details to an unsolicited incoming call, or any communication no matter how convincing they might be. These scams are getting progressively more and more sophisticated and are very good at extracting information out of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Am getting the same text messages too... it used to be from a UK mobile phone number... but just says "AIB" now. I bet its cause your number is up on done deal for something you are selling... they seem to take number from there a lot.

AIB know about this and are trying to deal with it... but till then, you are more than likely going to keep getting them...

From AIB website... http://www.aib.ie/servlet/Satellite?c=SC_Content&cid=1196265062880&pagename=SecurityCentre%2Fsc_main&section=S001
    Text Message Alert

Beware of fraudulent text messages claiming to be from AIB

AIB is aware that a number of fraudulent text messages are being circulated purporting to be from AIB. Examples of the text messages include:

Sign up now for the AIB Card reader, which offers extended security when using AIB Internet Banking services.
    Your access to AIB Internet Banking has been suspended because your AIB Code Card has expired.

The text message contains a link which will bring you to a fraudulent website and request you to enter your Registration Number, Full Personal Access Code (PAC) and 100 codes from your Code Card.

These text messages are NOT from AIB. They are a fraudulent attempt to obtain your banking details.

Remember AIB will never send a text message in relation to your AIB Internet Banking.

DO NOT RESPOND to the text or CLICK ON ANY LINKS in the text.

DO NOT log in to the FAKE website from your computer.

REMEMBER to log in to AIB Internet Banking at www.aib.ie/internetbanking ONLY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭palethinboy

joeali101 wrote: »
    Got one this morning as well except the link was to h t t p://secureaib.org

Interesting point about done deal si guru,I've been selling some bits and bobs on it lately

I placed something on donedeal for the first time last week & also just got a scam text.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

oldsmokey wrote: »
    Got my second one this morning - two different aib web addresses...you'd think the useless wretches at aib would text a/c holders to warn of the racket....

AIB are quite adamant that they don't contact people just like that and they have taken plenty of steps to warn people. Folk also need to act responsibly and not just take some random text as being gospel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

I've been getting these messages non stop. I too have just put something up on donedeal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭pmct

i had an ad on donedeal and then started to get those texts they just take the number of ads

Advertisement