Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting out pike fishing.

Options
  • 22-09-2011 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi folks,with the game angling season nearly over im thinking of getting into lure Fishing in rivers for pike during the wintertime,i have two spinning rods one is 8ft and the other is 10ft both are loaded with 10lb line.

So im wondering what type of lure's would i buy for river pike fishing in the midland area,also what other gear would be essential for pike fishing?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

i'ld start with heavier line mate, 15lb or more, i use 20lb:), trace is essential as the pike will bite your line, and while i'm not too familiar with "river" piking, spoons plugs etc are good in lakes, i got 2 pike on river shannon yesterday one to an allcock norwich spoon the other to a soft fish type lure(looked like a perch),

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Lures aren't typically used during winter, it's more productive fishing static deadbaits as pike aren't as active during the winter months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭delsalmon

bin the 10lb mono, 50lb braid is what you need, with wire traces 20-30lb wire carbolex etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

what other gear would be essential for pike fishing?

A good landing net.
    A good disgorger/forceps.
    An unhooking mat.

And when you get good at it:

A certified weighing scales to claim your specimen fish:)

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Best bait in the world is a blue fox lucius spoon http://www.powerboats.lv/en/info/blue-fox-lucius-s.html . Myself and the brother have had more pike on this than any other lure (I probably have about 150+ plastics, jerk baits, spinners spoons etc.) including 3 20lb+ landed :D and about 4 20lb+ nearly landed :mad: . Mat, forceps and a BIG net are essential, you never know what size you will get. I would change up to braid too as it makes a big difference when fighting big fish and get long traces.

Dead baiting can be tough as there is a lot of waiting, mess,confusion when starting up, complicated setups, I'm more used to casting regulalry like fly fishing so much prefer it. I have caught more pike spinning in winter than dead baiting tbh.

Tight Lines.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

DVD-Lots wrote: »
    Dead baiting can be tough as there is a lot of waiting, mess,confusion when starting up, complicated setups

true, the wait can be hard, but I always find the best way to get a run on a cold/wet/windy winter afternoon is very simple......pour a cup of tea. as soon as the milk is added, you are guaranteed to get a run ;)

I love deadbaiting in the winter and spinning in the summer!

Best bait in the world is a blue fox lucius spoon http://www.powerboats.lv/en/info/blue-fox-lucius-s.html . Myself and the brother have had more pike on this than any other lure (I probably have about 150+ plastics, jerk baits, spinners spoons etc.) including 3 20lb+ landed :D and about 4 20lb+ nearly landed :mad: . Mat, forceps and a BIG net are essential, you never know what size you will get. I would change up to braid too as it makes a big difference when fighting big fish and get long traces.

Dead baiting can be tough as there is a lot of waiting, mess,confusion when starting up, complicated setups, I'm more used to casting regulalry like fly fishing so much prefer it. I have caught more pike spinning in winter than dead baiting tbh.

Tight Lines.
    interesting lure! havent seen them locally, must inquire:D, love thwe spinning or indeed trolling for pike, have had some good fish on trolled deadbaits too,......which size would you recomend DVD? 100MM ONE??

The cobbler used to have them, that's where i got it originally from. 100mm is the way to go, big spoon for big fish, but I have also hooked as small as a 6" pike on it, greedy feckers! :)

The cobbler used to have them, that's where i got it originally from. 100mm is the way to go, big spoon for big fish, but I have also hooked as small as a 6" pike on it, greedy feckers! :)
    he still has them he said:), i text him earlier, will have look at them 2moro! said he has several colours,

Good stuff, stick to the silver with black/grey going down the side, it's the best of the lot. I have a blue one that was not great. I think the action that it produces is what sets them off, it wobbles a good bit on a steady troll. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭ROSSKI

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DVD-Lots View Post
    The cobbler used to have them, that's where i got it originally from. 100mm is the way to go, big spoon for big fish, but I have also hooked as small as a 6" pike on it, greedy feckers!
    he still has them he said, i text him earlier, will have

Do ye mind me asking who the cobbler is? I wouldnt mind getting a few locally if possible to try myself - Pm me if you like

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I have decent success on rivers/lakes in winter pulling Jacks and up to ~12lbs out using a 6ft stalking rod and using X-rap jointed shad's for shallow water and a jointed shad rap for deeper pools. Its not a bad way to get into pike as none of the bigger fish normally take these in winter. I use 30lbs braid and my own traces of varying lengths with this method and I find that more than enough to keep lures when things get tangled.

Once I have some nice jacks then they become bait for the big mummies :D

Essential equipment:
    12" forceps
    6" forceps
    Glove - I have neoprene gloves that have a heavy rubber coating that do a decent job of protecting my fingers when lifting out the water and unhooking.
    Unhooking mat

ROSSKI wrote: »
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DVD-Lots View Post
    The cobbler used to have them, that's where i got it originally from. 100mm is the way to go, big spoon for big fish, but I have also hooked as small as a 6" pike on it, greedy feckers!
    he still has them he said, i text him earlier, will have

Do ye mind me asking who the cobbler is? I wouldnt mind getting a few locally if possible to try myself - Pm me if you like

PM sent.

Good stuff, stick to the silver with black/grey going down the side, it's the best of the lot. I have a blue one that was not great. I think the action that it produces is what sets them off, it wobbles a good bit on a steady troll. :)
    was in with him this morning and got the last 2 ha had left:D, one is the silver you speak of, the other has got black,red,and brassy colour,
    was looking through the brochure he has on them, nice perch coloured one in there, and a white with red on the top of it,
    he will be ordering more he said,

have you ever tried the allcock norwich spoon? ive had pike to 19lb on ree on it, trolled very slow, and a red tail on the hook ring(you know the plastic ones?),looking out for those now too, cobbler doesnt have 'em

I'm sure I have one of those spoons alright, no luck with it though. Plain old copper spoon was good to me too a few times. :o

I'm sure I have one of those spoons alright, no luck with it though. Plain old copper spoon was good to me too a few times. :o
    my 12yr old daughter had 3 pike to 12lbs on it the last day we were out... ah the auld copper spoons:D.... i rem makin some yrs ago from an old copper cylinder:rolleyes:

Advertisement