Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruger .22 semiautomatic

Options
  • 22-09-2011 12:06am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

The Ruger .22 semiautomatic/automatic rifle is quite simply the best weapon you need for zombie whacking. The .22 round is so common and 5 million+ of them have been manufactured. .22 ammo is light and you can carry hundreds and hundreds of rounds much much more than the big stuff. Its easy to shoot and has a low recoil and you can easily get headshots and drop your zombie attackers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

would a .22 destroy the brain?

Methinks not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 fatal1ty

Methinks not.

If a .22 penetrates the skull, chances are it wouldn't have enough momentum to exit the skull. This means it could rattle around in the skull, and could mince the brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

Suppose, and of course if you were surrounded by zombie bunny rabbits it wouls be a good weapon.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭DoBhrionn

Suppose, and of course if you were surrounded by zombie bunny rabbits it wouls be a good weapon.
    74444067_92f29415f0.jpg
    But they're soo cute... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,519 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

A .22 rifle is going to be the most common firearm you'll find after Z-Day with the exception of shotguns, unless you happen to know a firearms dealer who won't be cleaned out where you could pick possibly up a centrefire rifle or two if you're capable of using one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

Methinks not.
    under 80m and with high velocity rds yes it will no bothers.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

It'd rattle around in there like a marble dropped into a jam jar! :eek:

Easy to shoot, low recoil, low report... so could arm wife and kids as well

BoysSis.jpg

boy.jpg

BoysMam.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 833 ✭✭✭snafuk35

It'd rattle around in there like a marble dropped into a jam jar! :eek:

Easy to shoot, low recoil, low report... so could arm wife and kids as well

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n229/musashi-ireland/BoysSis.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n229/musashi-ireland/boy.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n229/musashi-ireland/BoysMam.jpg

Those pictures are of a bolt action rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

snafuk35 wrote: »

Yes but i belive that he's using them to back up his argument re:calibre, and looking at the size or the breach that is a .22

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

The Ruger .22 semiautomatic/automatic rifle is quite simply the best weapon you need for zombie whacking. The .22 round is so common and 5 million+ of them have been manufactured. .22 ammo is light and you can carry hundreds and hundreds of rounds much much more than the big stuff. Its easy to shoot and has a low recoil and you can easily get headshots and drop your zombie attackers.

The cows in the backeound are about 80meters away and dont seem bothered, I reckon it would be as useful as a water pistol

thermo wrote: »
    under 80m and with high velocity rds yes it will no bothers.

Methinks not.

Have to agree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

Oranage2 wrote: »
    The cows in the backeound are about 80meters away and dont seem bothered, I reckon it would be as useful as a water pistol
    Have to agree
    the cows are a good bit more than 80m, livestock get used to noise if they hear it a few times. and having owned and hunted with a .22 for many years i stand by my statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Which will be a whole lot more common than a fully automatic .22, I'd wager there isn't even one automatic .22 in the country.

kieranfitz wrote: »
    Yes but i belive that he's using them to back up his argument re:calibre, and looking at the size or the breach that is a .22

I'm talking about the action and not the calibre.

The zombies will be upon you while you are fumbling with the bolt and reaching for a fresh clip to stuff down the breech.

The Ruger can be reloaded with a multi-round magazine in a flash and you are good to go. You just aim and squeeze the trigger and no fatal fumbling with a bolt action between shots.

Oranage2 wrote: »

Have to agree

A .22 round fired by a Ruger .22 will punch right through a skull and mush a zombie brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

It is a CZ452 in .22 rimfire. It can have ten round mags, same as the 10-22.
    Which will be a whole lot more common than a fully automatic .22, I'd wager there isn't even one automatic .22 in the country.
    There are plenty semi auto. .22 around.
    Probably only the military have automatic weapons, and they aren't rimfires! :D
    The zombies will be upon you while you are fumbling with the bolt and reaching for a fresh clip to stuff down the breech.

The Ruger can be reloaded with a multi-round magazine in a flash and you are good to go. You just aim and squeeze the trigger and no fatal fumbling with a bolt action between shots.
    The mag change is basically the same for either gun, same capacity in both, but semi shooters tend to empty their guns quicker. The Ruger is also prone to jams if the user isn't keeping on top of his cleaning regime. You don't put the mag. into the breech, it goes in the mag. well and feeds rounds into the breech.

I'll shoot from cover and make my shots count, spray and pray doesn't work regardless of gun or calibre. I haven't fumbled with a rifle since I was a kid ;)

There are a fair few guns in this country, the problem for most being that they don't own any.
    The guns that are here are held by guys who know how to use them, and will not be giving them up on Z-Day to accomodate those who never bothered going through the procedure to get their own.

I have a larger calibre rifle as well, for longer range shots. It's a lot louder and ammo is scarcer for it. The little rimfire is one of the most common calibres on earth and has probably killed more game than all the other calibres combined!
    It's proven over and over again worldwide, my favourite by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I recently treated myself to a Walther G22, while not as robust as the Ruger it would take care of zombies in certain situations. I will not say how I figured it out but trust me it will work and no animals were harmed during my experiments ;). I need to save up for larger caliber and find an excuse for the license :D

1. Max effective zombie range 80m. Longer shots possible for temple/eye socket shots.

2. Only effective against single/dispersed targets in the open, multiple targets and kiss your ass goodbye or stealth your way out.

3. Can be relatively quiet especially with a decent silencer

4. Perfect against fellow survivors as a warning who may want to take over your kingdom

5. Ammunition is light, you can carry buckets of it compared to larger calibers so perfect for raiding

6. Given Irish gun and ammunition laws its easy to get ammunition and store it in bulk.

7. Some nice pistols in this caliber as well to reduce the ammunition types for close quarter work

Maybe I am trying to make myself feel better by justifying the caliber but it was fairly easy to license, I am not sure I can justify larger calibers but they are fairly cheap and will take out a brain :)

Maybe someone should write to mythbusters:p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,519 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

krissovo wrote: »
    Some nice pistols in this caliber as well to reduce the ammunition types for close quarter work

Good idea if you could do it but you'll have a hard time finding a pistol that uses the same ammunition as a rifle in Ireland. It would have been possible up until a few years ago to hold something like a .38 revolver and .38 rifle combo but given centrefire pistol licences aren't available now you're left with a .22 pistol on Z Day:p

Average person would be best served by a .22 and .223 setup when the hoarde arrive, both would be common enough here and cover all the bases.

Congrats on the G22 btw.

It is a CZ452 in .22 rimfire. It can have ten round mags, same as the 10-22.

There are plenty semi auto. .22 around.
    Probably only the military have automatic weapons, and they aren't rimfires! :D

The mag change is basically the same for either gun, same capacity in both, but semi shooters tend to empty their guns quicker. The Ruger is also prone to jams if the user isn't keeping on top of his cleaning regime. You don't put the mag. into the breech, it goes in the mag. well and feeds rounds into the breech.

I'll shoot from cover and make my shots count, spray and pray doesn't work regardless of gun or calibre. I haven't fumbled with a rifle since I was a kid ;)

There are a fair few guns in this country, the problem for most being that they don't own any.
    The guns that are here are held by guys who know how to use them, and will not be giving them up on Z-Day to accomodate those who never bothered going through the procedure to get their own.

I have a larger calibre rifle as well, for longer range shots. It's a lot louder and ammo is scarcer for it. The little rimfire is one of the most common calibres on earth and has probably killed more game than all the other calibres combined!
    It's proven over and over again worldwide, my favourite by far.

Ok thanks for that.

Great you are preparing your kids for the coming zombie plague.

People look down on us gun nut survivalists but we will be the ones who will survive the legions of the walking decaying ravenous dead.

One bullet and one zombie at a time! HOT DOG!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Blay wrote: »
    Good idea if you could do it but you'll have a hard time finding a pistol that uses the same ammunition as a rifle in Ireland. It would have been possible up until a few years ago to hold something like a .38 revolver and .38 rifle combo but given centrefire pistol licences aren't available now you're left with a .22 pistol on Z Day:p

Average person would be best served by a .22 and .223 setup when the hoarde arrive, both would be common enough here and cover all the bases.

Congrats on the G22 btw.

Thats cr@p, I need a plan B for my next purchase then:confused:

Being ex military the G22 is closer to what I am used to, I get funny looks at the range when I pull it out the bag and line up against more established target shooters but it can hold its own.

Advertisement