Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Tori Amos said some stuff about being superior to all heavy metal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I haven't a clue what she's waffling on about?!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

In a recent interview with Spinner, alternative rock pianist and singer Tori Amos, who is best known for hits like "1000 Oceans", "Spark", and "A Sorta Fairytale", challenged all metal groups and claimed that she could best any of them by herself.

Amos suggested that her emotional music could take down any metal band shortly after she was asked if she was surprised that wrestler Mick Foley was a fan of her music.

"Well, look, sometimes you don't know how music affects people," Amos said. "I don't think that just because I talk about emotional stuff that it's not motherf--ker stuff."

"I'll stand next to the hardest f--king heavy metal band on any stage in the world and take them down, alone, by myself," Amos continued. "Gauntlet laid down, see who steps up. See who steps up! I'll take them down at 48. And they know I will. Because emotion has power that the metal guys know is just you can't touch it. Insanity can't touch the soul. It's going to win every f--king time.

Now where's the rolleyes :rolleyes:

Bit childish for a 48 year old really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

...........and I haven't heard any of her incoherent warbling on the radio in ages. Well, honestly I don't listen to the radio but that's beside the point!

So yeah. Even without clicking on the link, she's talking sh!te.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Elrollo wrote: »
    http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/tori_amos_challenges_metal_bands.html

Ladies and Gentlemen, she believes she has the measure of heavy metal, I disagree!

seriously she must have been drunk.......that's one of the most stupid, and ignorant things I've seen in a long time, from an artist of her quality you'd expect better.......show's a complete lack of knowledge of the genre she's claiming she can best easily......very strange stuff indeed.....
    quite odd that she would think there's no emotion in any form of Metal music.......I've got to say if that's really something she's come out with I'm very disappointed...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭Degag

Stange considering she has covered Raining Blood. (kinda)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Elrollo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WXeHT661xM&feature=related

sure stick Blind Guardian against her, I'm pretty sure Hansi will show her how to sing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I love Tory Amos early work, but she is getting nuttier than squirrel shlt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I've never listened to her music but...

she was a proto hipster before the hipsters, the kind of musician that music hipster journos fawn over, "oooh her music is so intellectual and emotive, the next kate bush etc."

I think Thom Yorke said that all metal was sh1t, Yorke, Amos, Lou Reed, they're just a bunch of proto hipsters.

That said her cover of reigning blood brings out a different side to it On the other Slayer's original is just as emotional, except in a different way, while her version is monotonously mysterious and eerie Slayer's version is more direct, to the point and doesn't lag, its pure aggression mixed in with manic celebratory nihilism over wanton destruction and horror. So its very much just as emotionally intense although this can be lessened if you approach it as a piece of ott comedy metal so I guess that contradicts my point, but her version is also bleh disregarding "emotion", trying to sound intellectual and deep but the pretense and superficiality of the attempt is obvious, whereas Slayer's version kicks ass. hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

metal would need to field a player with as much butthurt as her.

i vote jonathan davis.

metal would need to fieldy a bass player with as much butthurt as her.

i vote jonathan davis.

Fyp

I'll get my coat...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Silly bint.

metal would need to field a player with as much butthurt as her.

i vote jonathan davis.
    if we're fielding players from metal, should we not suggest a heavy metal supergroup to facemelt the heathen Tori Amos? Good people of the forums, I pledge thee, field thine most mighty of metal players and drive the scarlet haired demon back from whence she came!

Mine champion shall be Sah Gene Hoglan of Hogskovia! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I meant, sending a singer who got touched in their no no place against their will to fight a singer who got touched in their no no place against their will.

fight fire with fire and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Tori Amos says a lot of things......SHOVE HER!

Tori Amos says a lot of things......SHOVE HER!
    with what damn you? Shove her with what?!:pac:

Jaysus I just listened to Tori Amos' version of Raining Blood, I think metal's safe for the next while!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Elrollo wrote: »
    with what damn you? Shove her with what?!:pac:

How about some Cornflakes;)

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

what an idiot!

How about some Cornflakes;)
    hah, give her some Lidl brand 'flakes of corn like substance', Kelloggs is just a touch too good for her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Jemmaa

I don't know Tori Amos I don't even have TV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Jaysus I just listened to Tori Amos' version of Raining Blood, I think metal's safe for the next while!

yeah. So I take it that was a parody?! didn't sound like it.. or was she just in the horrors and related to it.

LH Pathe wrote: »
    yeah. So I take it that was a parody?! didn't sound like it.. or was she just in the horrors and related to it.
    I'd be interested in seeing her cover something like Gojira or Behemoth, that'd be the type of thing!

Yeah but in the sense a lady with tummy cramps might feel trapped in purgatory, a lifeless object, alive.. and death will be their acquisition see she's gettin all vengeful now, spiteful.. Cranky.. bleeding in horror, from a lacerated uh.. Womb wall or something, bleeding it's horror, creating her structure, or maybe regenerating It.. now she shall reign in blood!

my two cents anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Cill94

Well somebody is clearly looking for attention

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭iangobl

Who?

Precocious piano tutored chick claims she is better than heavy metal virtuosos shocker.

Think she resides over here too. It's not the headbangers she need be concerned with, but the bangers through her letterbox

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Metal virtuosos would pwn her in a battle of musicianship, there are very few genres of modern music left which encourage musical skill and complexity, metal is one of them however.

Edit: for the sake of argument though, she is semi correct, although her reasoning could apply to music produced within any genre, but I sometimes get the feeling that metal can be too macho, aggressive or conservative for its own good. For example I was listening to Forgiveness Denied by Aeon and it just sounds like a few minutes of one dimensional anger. I guess Amos' first mistake is in equating the quality of a piece of music with emotion. A piece of music can conceivably be awesome without being imbued with emotional content, the conceptual aspects might well compensate for a lack of emotive display. On the other hand in my own experience, music which calls up an emotional response in the listener is often more effective, for example it seems that a lot of people pick up on the end part of Straws Pulled at Random by Meshuggah as opposed to the first part which is standard Meshuggah fare, the end part is quite emotionally charged in a kind of transcendent way. Nonetheless an emotional piece of music which is average won't sound as powerful as a piece of music which is well written, its the intangibility of quality musical composition which is ultimately completely intrinsic imo, I find that the best pieces of music successfully combine conceptual rigour with emotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

poster.jpg

I would.

Might as well drag the tone to the gutter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

only if she was mute kess.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

saw this on UG and had to laugh. superior to an entire genre of music? sure you are dear.

Advertisement