Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should i buy this renault laguna 2003 1.9 diesel

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Renault garage in Cavan has a 2004 diesel for €4500.

Leitrim reg, so probably had a few calves or lambs in the back seat at some stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭gb153

A buddy of mine has the 1.8 petrol version. He cannot get over how much has gone wrong with it since he got it. I'd say he's been into the garage once a month over the past year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

keeny wrote: »
    Thinking of buying this laguna from Declan Gill motors. Does anyone have any experience of the car type, advice or of this particular dealer?
    its nct is to 2013, seems to have had 3 previous owners
    http://www.declangillmotors.com/viewanad.php?ad_id=701644

absolutely not.

buy a honda accord diesel or a mondeo diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

Dont even give it a second thought. I had one last year and I swear to god it was the worst piece of dirt i ever had. Only had it for 2 months and the electronic starting device never worked, it would cut out all the time while i was driving..... the air con never worked and neither did the central locking... just electrical nightmares!!!! I got rid of it after the 2 months and lost a small fortune on it..... STAY AWAY!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭ofcork

I second all that,had a 1.8 01 petrol for two years and cost a bomb to sort and when i went to trade it some garages wouldnt even look at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

Daughter has an 03, 1.9 diesel for about four years and loves it. Large comfortable French car with all the goodies including full leather. It has shown all the usual Laguna problems: fuel pump, window regulater (twice), exhaust gas recirculation valve, rear suspension bushes (twice), lower ball joint plus one or two more things I can't remember. Some of the servicing is akward: undertray has to be removed for oil drain and bolts for rear brake pads are inside the suspension arm. Other than that it's been completely reliable (!), cost a fortune and she's keeping it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

who ever designed the reno laguna was the worst engineer ever in the history of the automobile.!

I think he/she over complicated practically everything in the car times x 10,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

There are two serious issues with these Laguna.

Firstly the EGR issue mentioned above is significant: if the EGR jams shut then this causes the exhaust temperature to increase significantly and over time results in the bearing inside the turbo failing. In extreme cases the impeller and bearing can disintegrate with debris being ingested catastrophically into the cylinders. The resultant damage can mean a whole engine & turbo being required.

The second issue is gearbox. 5 speed Renault boxes are - at best - soft and the 6 speeders even less so. Gearbox issues in these cars are not cheap to fix. Any Laguna which has any excess transmission noise is to be avoided unless the cost makes repairs economic.

If it were my car, I would also clean the EGR valve at least once a year and change the gearbox oil with every second engine oil change.

Advertisement