Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

auto sat system

Options
  • 21-09-2011 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

we are thinking of updating our sat system to an auto system,we have a maxview crank up on the the van but i never got it to work i spent a bit of time trying to sort it but never got to the bottom of the problem and had to get the old tripod out so we could keep up to date with the tour went in France this year
    the glomex is very well priced and looks like a simple enough diy fit i have to say the thought of having a plug in and play system appeals to me after the hours i lost fiddling with the maxview this year

is their any other system i should be looking at ,and the big one what do i do with the big hole in the center of the roof if i take the maxview off the van ?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 243 ✭✭yardeyar

Hi our first trip to France we had a cheap sat dish and every night when we stopped I had to set it up, it was nothing but troulbe so we bought a Oyster self seeking dish and we received all the BBC's and ITV's etc till be started to head south in Italy, we lost the BBC's and ITV's but we still picked up SKY News and other English speaking channels, it was a lot of money for the Oyster but a wonderful piece of kit! You just press a button and you have all the channels you need and no grey hairs.. lol!
    Regarding your big hole in the roof, the Oyster comes on a large fixing plate that you bond and screw to the roof, the plate should be well big enough to cover you hole!
    YEAH!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

The only hole in the roof is where the cable goes through , and this should be fitted through a proper gland . I've successfully fitted Oyster , MaxView , Camos Dome and GloMex , and the GloMex is my current favourite .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    The only hole in the roof is where the cable goes through , and this should be fitted through a proper gland . I've successfully fitted Oyster , MaxView , Camos Dome and GloMex , and the GloMex is my current favourite .

sure i see that it only has one cable i am hoping to mount it on the roofbars http://www.snellyvision.co.uk/store/discoveryinstall.pdf,the hole im talking about is when i remove the maxview ,any ideas on a fix for that

most people either leave the pole , or bond a plate on over the area it used to be .

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭HereAndThere

Interesting, I haven't been able to get my wind up one to work. Used the aldi/lidl sat while in France recently but spent too long looking for signal.

Wheres the best place to source one of these auto seeking ones? Sounds like alot less pain.

• Advertisement

Interesting, I haven't been able to get my wind up one to work. Used the aldi/lidl sat while in France recently but spent too long looking for signal.

Wheres the best place to source one of these auto seeking ones? Sounds like alot less pain.

From me/us!

just about to start fitting yet another GloMex today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭niloc1951

The Maxview Crank-up is a real simple piece of kit, I've had one for over five years now and never a problem, there's not much to go wrong.

Have you a signal coming down from it, if not, it can only be a faulty LNB or a break in the cable, there is no electronic 'wizardry' involved.
    The only other possibility is the LNB arm has somehow got bent and the LNB is out of 'focus' with the dish.

niloc1951 wrote: »
    The Maxview Crank-up is a real simple piece

The only other possibility is the LNB arm has somehow got bent and the LNB is out of 'focus' with the dish.
    i think you could be right in my case ,as when i put it down the little house on the dial that tells you its down gos past its spot which makes me think its go out of line some where along the line

niloc1951 wrote: »
    The Maxview Crank-up is a real simple piece of kit, I've had one for over five years now and never a problem, there's not much to go wrong.

Have you a signal coming down from it, if not, it can only be a faulty LNB or a break in the cable, there is no electronic 'wizardry' involved.

before we spent €1200 on the glomex i decided to try and sort the maxview one more time i so spent the afternoon on the roof of the van ,found the problem and finally got a signal through it so we are going to hold back on the glomex and see how we get on with the crank up

before we spent €1200 on the glomex i decided to try and sort the maxview one more time i so spent the afternoon on the roof of the van ,found the problem and finally got a signal through it so we are going to hold back on the glomex and see how we get on with the crank up

Well done, BTW what was the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭steelboots

How much is a GloMex to buy and get installed, and how easy is it to transfer from one MH to another ?

it was a small problem their is a cable coming into the the tv cabinet with an f connector on it a assumed this was coming from the dish i chased it through the van and found it just came to a stop behind the fridge (never assume :o )
    so that left a female f connector which was built into the wall in one piece with the 240v plug and the 12v plug turns out the dish is connected to this plug all the time,so made up a short lead and had it up and running in a few mins,
    i still have a problem with the maxview in that it rocks back and forward about 8/10mm on the bearing in the slightest of winds causing it to lose signal couldnt see a way to tighten it do have this problem

................i still have a problem with the maxview in that it rocks back and forward about 8/10mm on the bearing in the slightest of winds causing it to lose signal couldnt see a way to tighten it do have this problem

All Maxview crank-ups do this and possibly all types of dishes, it's caused by a bit of 'back-lash' built into the gearing to prevent any binding.
    I find it is normally not a problem unless a combination of wind speed/direction and dish elevation cause the dish to tip back and forth.
    I one saw a chap, down in Spain, (where the elevation of the dish made it very 'tender' in even a light wind) with a bungee cord from the top of the dish back to one of the roof bars.
    A bit mickey mouse I know, but at the price I think it's a good value product and unlike motorised versions it will not get stuck half way up or down and require expensive attention.

Advertisement