Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The meaning of the Tragic Clown??

Options
  • 21-09-2011 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi all. I'm not sure if this is in the correct place. I put it into the philosophically forum but it was not suited there. Maybe this place is better!

I was recently thinking about clowns (as you do). By clowns I mean the literal circus-type clowns with painted faces and was wondering what the significance surrounding the notion of the tragic clown is?

Modern clowns are often painted with tears running down their faces and I know that there is some historical significance surrounding the notion of the clown who is laughing on the outside and crying on the inside. He appears to be a tragic figure who mute (clowns don't speak, as far as I know) and forced into the entertainment of others.

The historicity of the clown must have contributed too to the notion of the frightening clown (as per "It" and other modern literary and film horrors). Even in Opera, we see the tragedy of the clown: Leoncavallo's Opera "Pagliacci" (trans. "Players/Clowns") features the tragic aria "Vesti La Giubba" (trans. On with the show") which portrays the agony of the protagonist who is a clown and he wails in pain at the end of the song.

Perhaps someone could provide some insight or shed some light on the notion of the entertainer clown and the tragedy within??

Advertisement