Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are there mushrooms growing out of my carpet????

Options
  • 21-09-2011 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

Not a question I ever imagined having to ask :o I'm renting an old house at the moment which is situated right beside a river. I've only been living here for a few months and last week, I had to move to the upstairs bedroom because the damp in the downstairs one was horrendous :( I thought the problem wouldn't be as bad upstairs as it's a lot warmer but yesterday evening I noticed that there are actual mushrooms growing out of the carpet (newly laid before I moved in) against the wall on the upstairs landing :eek: They're the kind that I've seen growing out of trees. Strangest thing I've ever seen. Anyways, i'm now realising that this is a way bigger problem than I originally thought. My OH is extremely sensitive to mould and is insisting we look for somewhere else to live. Is it a problem that the landlord will be able to fix quickly and easily or am I better off moving on?

carpetmushrooms2.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Serious, serious damp problem. Move.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

Can you post a pic!? :)
    :D

I'd move... that isn't healthy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

I would move out pronto:). If it's growing mushrooms upstairs it must be saturated with moisture downstairs:mad:.

Not and easy or quick fix:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

What kind of mushrooms are we talking about here, could be vital in your decision whether or not to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Weylin

Not a question I ever imagined having to ask :o I'm renting an old house at the moment which is situated right beside a river. I've only been living here for a few months and last week, I had to move to the upstairs bedroom because the damp in the downstairs one was horrendous :( I thought the problem wouldn't be as bad upstairs as it's a lot warmer but yesterday evening I noticed that there are actual mushrooms growing out of the carpet (newly laid before I moved in) against the wall on the upstairs landing :eek: They're the kind that I've seen growing out of trees. Strangest thing I've ever seen. Anyways, i'm now realising that this is a way bigger problem than I originally thought. My OH is extremely sensitive to mould and is insisting we look for somewhere else to live. Is it a problem that the landlord will be able to fix quickly and easily or am I better off moving on?

carpetmushrooms2.jpg
    move out soon as possible,there has to be somewhere better than that ........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Sounds like the house is not fit for habitation and is likely to be in breach of the minimum legal standards for private rented accommodation due to serious dampness.
    Move out asap, it's not as if there's a scarcity of good dry houses at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Get the hell out of there......its not safe to breathe in there god know what you'd get out of that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Get out before you end up being carried out (on a stretcher that is). And the Residential Tenancies Board (or whatever they're called) might be interested in hearing about that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

carpetmushrooms2.jpg

Magic Mushrooms........ Call in the drug squad....:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I thought that the thread title was a joke......until I actually saw that pic with my own eyes.

2 words...............................MOVE OUT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

ya wouldn't happen to be in a small village in cork would ya?
    we rented a place just like that and the shower cubical was alive with fungus and
    the furniture in the kitchen had white stuff growing under the chairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

Move out as soon as possible, that is a very unhealthy environment. If you have any respiratory problems make sure that you advise your doctor what your living conditions were/are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

bugsntinas wrote: »
    ya wouldn't happen to be in a small village in cork would ya?
    we rented a place just like that and the shower cubical was alive with fungus and
    the furniture in the kitchen had white stuff growing under the chairs.

Nope we're in co Clare :D I wouldn't mind but other than the damp, the house is lovely. I thought that this sort of problem only happened in half derelict hovels. Looking for a new place as we speak :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭danois

Sorry to drag up an old thread. I have recently found mushrooms like these growing from the carpet in work. How did you sort it and does anyone know if its dangerous to be working with these in the room all day?

Advertisement