Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fireplace opening size. Do I need to fill it in a bit

Options
  • 21-09-2011 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

I'm currently in the middle of a new build and I've just picked a fireplace with an inset stove (boru 600i). The opening that is left in the chimney breast for the fire is currently 48inches wide by 54inches high as it was originally left for a stove that would just sit there in that space.

The plastering will be starting on Monday so I'm wondering will the opening need to be filled in a bit as the opening only needs to be 28 inches wide for the stove. The fireplace I'm looking at is 60inches wide so this will cover over the complete width of the hole but its only 45inches high so it wont cover the complete height.

Are there any draw backs to leaving the opening wider than is needed for the stove? Will this cause heat loss? Should we get the builder to fill it in a bit?

Thanks,
    Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

paulztag wrote: »
    I'm currently in the middle of a new build and I've just picked a fireplace with an inset stove (boru 600i). The opening that is left in the chimney breast for the fire is currently 48inches wide by 54inches high as it was originally left for a stove that would just sit there in that space.

The plastering will be starting on Monday so I'm wondering will the opening need to be filled in a bit as the opening only needs to be 28 inches wide for the stove. The fireplace I'm looking at is 60inches wide so this will cover over the complete width of the hole but its only 45inches high so it wont cover the complete height.

Are there any draw backs to leaving the opening wider than is needed for the stove? Will this cause heat loss? Should we get the builder to fill it in a bit?

Thanks,
    Paul

Yes, it will need filling in. Get the blocklayer in to build the new walls either side of the boru to the opening size required for the insert. Then get the stove installer to install the stove and backfill with vermiculite mix.

If that would of been my fireplace I would of fitted a freestanding stove as the extra work has it's costs.

Stove Fan:)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭paulztag

Hi Stove Fan,

Thanks. I'll talk to the builder and get him to fill it in. Would this all need to be done before the house is plastered inside?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

paulztag wrote: »
    Hi Stove Fan,

Thanks. I'll talk to the builder and get him to fill it in. Would this all need to be done before the house is plastered inside?

Yes, It would be best that the opening around the fire is plastered. The facing front of the chimney breast.

Stove Fan:)

Advertisement